Sunday, July 20, 2008

Metta Retreat


I'm back from a Metta Retreat at Spirit Rock Meditation Center with my son, Ted.

We spent a week in silence, cultivating Metta (lovingkindess) and the related wholesome mind states of Karuna (compassion), Mudita (sympathetic joy), and Upekkha (equanimity).

This Metta verse helped me get the Metta thoughts humming in my head and settled in my heart.

It goes like this:

May I be safe and well protected,
May I feel happy in my heart.
May I be healthy, kind, and helpful
May I joyfully do my part.

I like to modify this verse by substituting the word, "you" for the word "I" whenever it seems appropriate to direct it to someone in need. Maybe that someone is you. If so,

May YOU be safe and well protected,
May YOU feel happy in your heart.
May YOU be healthy, kind, and helpful
May YOU joyfully do your part.




A lotus to you, buddha to be.

3 comments:

James Gurney said...

What a beautiful meditation. I look forward to your thoughts and musings on this blog.

Katherine said...

I, also.
I've been re-reading some of your thoughts of life and the universe on Mr Kindergarten. Please sir, I want some more...?
I've lost my way a bit in the last few weeks ...

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

I'll get back to posting more regularly, especially AFTER Ted leaves for Togo, West Africa.