Monday, September 1, 2008

Hiking in the Redwoods

It's really important to refresh and recharge your energy.

For me one of the best ways is to take a walk in nature.

Today on Labor Day my wife and son went on a hike in Armstrong Redwoods State Park. As nice as the old growth redwoods on the valley floor are, we prefer the trails that take you up and away from the crowds. Fewer redwoods there, but it's much quieter.


Check out my t-shirt!


Very soon, Ted is heading to Africa for a 2+ year Peace Corps tour of duty, so he's been good enough to spend lots of time with his old folks. We're gonna miss him!


Our favorite resting spot on this hike is here under a bridge.
Even in this very dry year there's water in it.

4 comments:

Culmom37 said...

I almost didn't recognize your son with his haircut...he looks like Connor!!!!

Best wishes to you, Ted. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers that you have a safe and rewarding trip in Africa.

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Yes, Ted got his hair cut short, buzzed off, actually, before leaving for Africa. He calls it his "travel" hair.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I think he'll be just as safe in Africa as he would be here. Maybe safer.

The Pollinatrix said...

Oh my gosh - I LOVE that place! My two-year-old's grandmother lives in Guerneville, and when I'm there, I go to the Armstrong Redwoods every day that I can. I feel utterly at home there.

Is your son still in Africa?

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Polly--

Gosh, you're going back in time on this blog! Yes, Armstrong is a nice place. My son is still in Africa and will be there until December. We talked to him this morning; he's doing really well.