Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gratitude January 3, 2009

Cultivating gratitude helps me discover a healthier, happier, more optimistic view.

I go through the hours thinking about what I am grateful for and which of the many, many things I feel grateful for that I will select for mention here on the blog at the end of the day.

This evening I'm feeling grateful to--

My brother, Jim, who sent me and handwritten letter along with the newsletters from the Platte Cove Community who are living in intentional Christian community in New York. Inspiring folks. Maybe I'll visit there again this summer....

Jim Corbett (AKA Mr. Music) for his efforts to bring music to our schools through his music education program, and to our community via "The Love Choir." He is an inspiration to all of us in Sebtown. This evening Sarah and I are working on the resolution that will be read by the Mayor (my wife) next Tuesday.

Cal Tjader whose music I'm listening to on Pandora. Do you know about Pandora? It's a website where you can make your own internet radio station. You'll like it. Click here: Pandora. Elizabeth initiated me to Pandora over the holidays. Now I'm a fan.

Debra Birkinshaw who is on the Board of the Sonoma County Peace Center and writes for its newsletter. She's also a member of my Sangha.

Katherine over at the blog, Last Visible Dog. She's taking care of a pair of thrushes, Victoria and Alexander.

Thich Nhat Hahn and Jim Wilson who've been a reliable guides for me.

My neighbor, Rebecca, whose father is dying in Nebraska. She wants to have a community garden going in her side yard in 2009.


I invite YOU to share what you're grateful for in the comments section of this post.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh Dan. Where to start? Well, because I don't know, I won't let that stop me diving in just any ol' where. I'll do three of my own, every gratitude post of yours. So. The first one has to be You! I'm glad YOU are there to bring to conscious mind all the great things/ people I have/ know/ experience.
2: My three kids. Such a joy and an enriching journey watching them grow up.
3: (A little one, because life is made up of little things too) The smell of roasting pumpkin kernels in the pan this morning. I add them to my museli mix, and I'm just making up a new batch.

Mr. KinderG said...

Thank YOU, Katherine, for adding your gratitudes to the blog. I like to read what others feel grateful for. Somehow, other people's gratitudes become your own. Gratitude is contagious, I guess.

I love toasted pumpkin seeds, too!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,
It has been some time since your last entry and I hope you are well and off to other ideas of gratitude and appreciation. You crossed my path while I was googling Portia Nelson.
This is the first blog that has interested me, other than grown daughter's blog.
Have a glorious day, thank you.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Anon--

Thank you! That's quite a compliment, as there are many many great blogs to choose among.

To tell the truth, I've allowed my gratitude practice to slip a bit, and it's time to re-energize it. Thanks for reminding me!