Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gratitude January 22, 2009

I'm grateful to be married to the Mayor of my town.

It's the opposite of living in anonymity; it's living in community.

Going out anywhere anytime (I usually do my errands on foot) results in greeting people I know and usually getting engaged in a nice conversation or two or three or more.

It's been said that "it takes a village to raise a child." I think it's equally true that it takes a village to raise an adult.

Maybe I'm just a big kid still growing up and recovering from a childhood lived mostly outside of community.

3 comments:

Delwyn said...

It sounds like you really enjoy belonging to the community and participating in it. How big is your town?

Today it is 30 degrees C and 100 % humidity, that's right torrential rain on and off all day -so its very muggy. I'm grateful for my cool, open house that picks up the breezes over the water.

I'm also very grateful for a sound reliable car to get me about.

and thirdly the cormorants that roost in the trees on the river, bobbing and swaying in the breeze.

Mr. Kinder said...

Oh, yes! Living in Sebastopol is a wonderful blessing. We have been one of the few Green Party majority towns in the United States, a town that values its natural surroundings, and its abundance of locally owned businesses. (Chain stores have competition here!) We have about 7800 residents.

More here:

http://www.ci.sebastopol.ca.us/citycouncil.shtml

Delwyn said...

I read about Sebastopol - it sounds a lovely place to live. The town I came from in NZ, Masterton, before emmigrating to Au, was also near an apple growing belt, now also vineyards, so I imagine the climate could be similar.