Friday, January 9, 2009

Gratitude January 9, 2009

I went last night to a poetry reading, and there I learned of a new form of poetry called 100 friends. 100 friends is a 15 line form of poetry with lines of poetry determined by syllables as follows: 2,4,2,4,6,4,6,8,6,8,10,8,10,12,10.

Being the tinkerer I am, I've adapted the form to 108 syllables and call it the Sangha form. It's similar to the 100 friends form, but with an added coda of 3 lines totaling only 8 syllables, for a total of 18 lines and 108 syllables. Nice, huh? The coda's lines have syllabic counts of 4,2,2.

So the Sangha form has 18 lines with syllabic counts as follows: 2,4,2,4,6,4,6,8,6,8,10,8,10,12,10,4,2,2.

Here's my first Sangha form poem. It's about seeing Venus by daylight. I'm pleased with the result:

 Not on Television
January 9, 2009

I found
Venus shining
Plainly
In Day-blue sky
Between the sun and moon
This afternoon.

For fifty-seven years
I’ve not known the sun and the moon
Have company up there
Overhead in the daytime sky.
No person showed me when or where to look;
I learned how on the Internet,
Glad to find something significant there.
It felt like discovering a parent’s affair—
Knowledge ancients kept and shared, ‘ere
Television
Screened out
Heaven.

2 comments:

Rengajim said...

Hi Dan:

Interesting variation. The short-line ending gives the form a strong sense of cadence; like the last chord of a song. The longer line endings give me a feeling of continuation, as if the poem could have yet another line.

Best wishes,

Jim

Mr. Kinder said...

Hi, Jim,

That's right. That strong sense of cadence is what I was hoping it would achieve. I like the cinquain form for the very reason of its cadence. It brings the poem to a definite close.

Thanks for commenting. I look forward to new posts on your blog, rengaroads.

Take care