Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thinking about Dr. King

I'm still thinking about Dr. Martin Luther King. I found this on a Buddhist Peace Fellowship email:

Two reflections, 2500 years apart, come to mind.

As recorded in the Dhammapada, Shakyamuni Buddha said:

All tremble at violence,
All fear death;
Comparing oneself with others
One should neither kill nor cause others to kill.
- Dhp. 129

All tremble at violence,
Life is dear to all.
Comparing others with oneself
One should neither kill nor cause others to kill.
- Dhp. 130

Victory breeds hatred,
The defeated live in pain.
Happily the peaceful live,
Giving up victory and defeat.
- Dhp. 201


Martin Luther King, Jr., speaking to his congregation in Montgomery, Alabama said:

I think the first reason that we should love our enemies...is this: that hate for hate only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe. If I hit you and you hit me and I hit you back and you hit me back and go on, you see, that goes on ad infinitum. It just never ends. Somewhere somebody must have a little sense, and that's the strong person. The strong person is the person who can cut off the chain of hate, the chain of evil... Somebody must have religion enough and morality enough to cut it off, and inject within the very structure of the universe that strong and powerful element of love.
- "Loving Your Enemies" 17 November 1957

I hope that the United States can awaken fully from its state of fear and live out the values and wisdom of its hero, Martin Luther King.

No comments: