Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feb. 22 Gratitude: Rain

This evening I feel grateful for:

Rain. 50mm fell in our backyard in the last 24 hours. We need it so badly that it feels like the most wonderful gift imaginable.

Reading. I finished Bill Bryson's memoir, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. At one point I laughed so hard I dropped the book and had to deliberately catch my breath. Next, I began reading the book suggested for my Awakening Joy class, How We Choose to be Happy by Rick Foster and Greg Hicks. Rainy day reading

Writing. I finished a piece as a Guest Blogger on the I.N.K. blog. I published it but it has not shown up on their website yet. It should be up there Monday. It was fun to write. Kindergarten teachers, take note.

7 comments:

Alden said...

We have the ThunderBolt Kid in our house - you have given me a great prompt to read it Dan - I think laughter is very good for one - so I shall hunt the book out - thanks for that!

Delwyn said...

Monday evening @ 8.45

and I feel grateful for a peaceful untroubled family
for My daughter in law, Lisa, whose birthday it is today
and for those marvellous people who foster children

Butler and Bagman said...

Hooray for gratitude. I always need reminders to be grateful. Thanks.

Mr. Kinder said...

Alden, as you know, Bryson is of the same vintage as us: 1951. You didn't grow up in Des Moines, but you'll certainly enjoy this romp through the fifties. Like you, I'm a big fan of his Short History of Nearly Everything.

I can assure you that you'll get some good laughs.

Mr. Kinder said...

Delwyn, Peaceful, untroubled families are indeed something to feel very grateful for. They are not as common as I wish they were.

Mr. Kinder said...

B&B, Welcome! I hope you'll incline your mind towards gratitude on a regular basis and tell us what you're grateful for. I find this gratitude practice of greatest value on tough days when I have to reach a bit to remember the blessings I take for granted.

Katherine said...

Ah yes rain. There's a wonderful blog I discovered a while back: Monkeys on the roof. Val writes of the effects of severe droughts in her African home area, and other much nicer things there.
http://monkeysontheroof.blogspot.com/

Gratitude from me today?
1. My new tutors Laurie Steer and James Ormsby. Good-humoured and funny, generous and knowledgable, both of them. It's clearly going to be a wonderful term. I feel so lucky.

2. I seem to be able to draw! I've found a skill I didn't know I had.

3. Eggs.