Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feb. 28, 2009 Gratitude: Community

It's the last day of February already. Already the year is flying by.

I'm grateful this evening for the day I spent in my community. I went out for a walk led by my friend and Sebastopol City Councilman, Guy Wilson. Guy grew up in Palo Alto, the same as me. He lived about a mile from where I lived, and was only one year ahead of me in school. But Guy and I didn't meet until we were both living here in Sebastopol.

We talked during the walk and then over tea for another 90 minutes or so. Conversation ranged from city politics to travel to our adult offsprung.

Then on the way home I saw friends having tea at our town's other tea shop, Many Rivers Books and Tea and stopped in for a shorter conversation there.

Stopping by the post office on the way home, I ran into another friend, Craig Price, for yet another extended conversastion, this one mostly about Africa. I didn't get home until 3 PM after almost 6 hours of nonstop social interaction.

Luckily, I didn't have anything too pressing to do today, nothing that couldn't just as well wait until tomorrow, so I was able to enjoy every minute of my serial conversations.

I really am grateful to live in an actual community where I can go out for a walk that I thought would be finished well before lunch and return home in the mid afternoon full of unplanned social time in town.

It's going to rain all day tomorrow, so I'll have time to "catch up."

4 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

Sounds like a delightful day to enjoy whomever comes your way.

It's of course the first day of March here ...
so I'm cooking an Autumnal dinner for my two sons, any excuse for a little celebration with loved ones, is a good one.

I'm hope you also enjoy your rain day.

Delwyn said...

You've had a great day Dan.

and in case you haven't seen my reply to your Hair comments - I think you should post a pic of yourself from the 70s!!!!

Talking about hair, I'm glad I came of age in the 70s and protested about Vietnam - and learned to have a social conscience.

I'm glad I grew up in the music of the 60s and 70s. I don't think its ever been as powerful since as a generational entrancer.

and I'm glad I found love in the early 70s - oral contraception had just become available in NZ and there was no AIDs to worry about.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu, thanks. The rain came, as forecast, and I'm going to catch up on my computer for about 4 hours or so. I earned it by exercising and socializing for more than 8 hours yesterday.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, I'm blushing. I cut my hair short so long ago. But, I'll rummage around my old photos and see what I can dig up.

I agree that we were incredibly fortunate to come of age in the late sixties and early seventies. The eighties here in America was the beginning of the Dark Ages that lasted, really, until Jan. 20 when we finally got some regime change of our own.

I was, like you, active in the antiwar movement, but actually, I have always been more interested in promoting peace than fighting against war. There's an important difference.