Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feb. 5 Gratitude: Jerry Mander

This evening I feel grateful for having had the chance to meet Jerry Mander. He's the author of several books. He was in Sebastopol tonight to talk about his newest book, The Superferry Chronicles. It's a tale of community action taken against an anti-community project, a huge 40 mph ferry that operates now between Oahu and Maui. The ferry has proven lethal to the humpback whales and other marine life that live in the waters it navigates. It serves, too, as a prototype for military vessels coveted by the US Navy. It's quite a story!

But the real reason I ventured into town this evening had roots extending back to a time when I had no gray hair, no kids, and no clear idea about how to live life well.

More than 30 years ago, Jerry wrote a book called Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television. I bought the book and skimmed it. While I'm aware that other books written since then make stronger and more persuasive criticisms of television and its effect on society, Jerry's book solidified my nascent intention to banish television from my home. Jerry's book helped me renounce the tube. I've never regretted it.

I'm sometimes asked for advice for living, you know, questions like, "How did you raise two such wonderful kids?" If I think it best to answer in just two words I'll probably respond by saying,

"No television."

And I mean it quite sincerely.

I'm grateful tonight for the opportunity to shake the hand and thank in person Jerry Mander. He made a contribution to my life. Thank you, Jerry!

4 comments:

Delwyn said...

Good evening Dan
I like your no TV stance. While we didn't ban it we had a 'No TV after dinner' rule for the entire period of the kids' school lives.

I'm familiar with the super ferry as we have spent the 2 months of Dec and Jan for the past 20 odd years in Kauai where the protest took place. The ferry no longer runs to Nawiliwili, Lihue.

Gratitude today goes to :

Those bloggers compatriots who take the time to leave a message - it is encouraging to read an acknowledgment of your efforts

for the flowers I see each day now that I carry my camera with me - I am more observant.

and for Mary at 'inasoftlight' for the beauty that she sees thru' her lens and the apt quotes she accompanies the photo with. Today she wrote this quote:

'There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.' - just for us I think !!

Mr. Kinder said...

Delwyn, do you still go to Kauai in December and January? You seem to have been in Australia this year.

Thanks for that mention of in a soft light blog. Your blog and it are so lovely...they're inspiring a "Dharma Seed" post here today.

Katherine said...

Yes yes yes! No television. The answer to lots of question I get about my children too.

Delwyn said...

Dan: we didn't go this summer because my husband is in the middle of a project (apartments) but plan to have 2 or 3 months there as soon as the job is completed.