Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kindness Contemplation

I've memorized a set of contemplations that I review each morning upon arising.

I thought I'd share some of them (the ones that are not specifically Buddhist in nature) here on the Mindful Heart blog with the hope that someone else may try them out.

They've brought me much happiness.

The first one I want to share is a contemplation on cultivating kindness. It goes like this.


Cultivating Kindness Contemplation

With every act of kindness, the way grows clearer.

With every act of caring, the way grows smoother.

We rejoice in every act of kindness—

Great or small,
Near or far,
Known or unknown,
Ordinary or extraordinary.


We rejoice in every act of caring—

Great or small,
Near or far,
Known or unknown,
Ordinary or extraordinary.

May kindness and caring
blossom within us and within all sentient existence;
May wisdom and compassion
blossom within us and within all sentient existence;
May gratitude and serenity
blossom within us and within all sentient existence;

Breath after breath,
Minute after minute,
Hour after hour,
Day after day,
Week after week,
Month after month,
Year after year,
Life after life,

As we attain the unexcelled peace, serenity, and bliss of Nirvana.


Note: This contemplation lends itself well to memorization. Once you've got it in your memory banks you can recite it at various times of day (upon arising, before retiring) and incline your mind towards kindness. I encourage you to substitute words from your own spiritual tradition so it fits for you. For example, if you're Christian you could substitute "heaven" for "Nirvana" in the last line. For "sentient existence" you could substitute "All God's creatures" and so forth.

4 comments:

Delwyn said...

Dan: thanks for this contemplation - I have used the 23rd Psalm for many years but will enjoy trying a change ~ and I will enjoy seeing more...

You will find my 3 gratitude comments for today on your joy posting...I was ahead of myself overflowing with gratitude....

Mr. Kinder said...

Delwyn, gushing with gratitude is a wonderful way to be! If you've got gratitude to express, it's always welcome here. My Buddhist teacher loves the Psalms. We use them, too. The 23rd is a real gem.

Delwyn said...

Yep...'my cup runneth over'

Mr. Kinder said...

How wonderful, Delwyn, to feel that your cup runneth over. I hope that feeling extends to more and more and more people.