Saturday, February 7, 2009

Opening to the Lovely

Posts by Delwyn, Katherine, and Mary over at http://inasoftlight.blogspot.com/ have brought to mind a quote at the bottom of this post.

Beauty surrounds us, if we have only the eyes to see.

The view at sunrise from our living room window this morning....



The flowering vine at our front door...

A friend who's not taking Saturday off work....



"This itself is the whole of the journey, opening your heart to that which is lovely. Because of their feeling for the lovely, beings who are afraid of birth and death, aging and decaying, are freed from their fear. This is the way you must train yourself: I will become a friend and an intimate of the lovely. To do this I must closely observe and embrace all states of mind that are good."

--a teaching of the Buddha recorded in the Samyutta Nikaya

2 comments:

Delwyn said...

How beautiful Dan, are you on a lake?
The flowering vine looks like the orchid flower, is it a sweet pea variety?

'The Lovely' is a lovely phrase...I am looking out for the lovely...

Mr. Kinder said...

Ah, how I wish I lived on the shore of a lake. No, I live in town, on a hill. What appears to be a lake is actually ground fog over the Santa Rosa Plain. In really wet winters the land out there floods, and, for a time we have "Lake Sebastopol" out there.

I don't know the name of the vine, and I hope someone reading this blog does and will chime in to tell me. I should just ask Sherry, who planted it for us.