Friday, March 20, 2009

Gratitude: Equinox and Mr. Rogers

Today, we who live in the northern hemisphere are having our first day of spring. The earth has swung round the sun so northern regions are tipped towards the sun, making our days longer than our nights.

Today's gratitude is titled "equinox" instead of "spring" because our spring implies "fall" for the southern half of the world.

I'm grateful to be in contact through my blog with friends in the southern hemisphere for whom our lengthening days mean exactly the opposite for them. It made our winter more bearable, somehow, to read about the summer activities of my friends in Australia and New Zealand. I hope to return the favor.

I'm grateful for Mr. Rogers (who was born on this day in 1928). Although I'm about as allergic to television as anyone I know, I think Mr. Rogers was a very rare bright spot in a wasteland. He conveys values you don't often see on television: acceptance of oneself, creativity, honoring one's emotional life, courtesy, friendship, sustained attention, slowing down, and kindness. He taught the same values on television that I've taught in my classroom. Simple stuff, valuable today because it's become so rare.



Sad to say, ask a kindergarten kid these days who Mr. Rogers is, and he'll look right through you.

Here's one more video. This one makes my eyes well up.



May you rest in bliss, Mr. Rogers!

3 comments:

Delwyn said...

Your Mr Rogers (I don't know )but listening to him he should be a national treasure.

Sarah Lulu said...

I don't know Mr Rogers either, but the video was very sweet and I did google to find out.

Happy Spring my friend Dan.

Today is our Autumn Festival here in the town where I live ...

Both Spring and Autumn are magical seasons.

Katherine said...

Aw, thanks for the thanks, Dan!
What a lovely guy, and I can imagine what a huge and positive influence he had on those who watched him.

Today I'm grateful for:
1. Season's changes - that help us appreciate our little planet.
2. Teachers and tutors that have 'gone before' and who light our way
3. Keith Woodley of the Miranda Shorebird Centre - for his passion and his sharing of information about the Godwits.