Monday, March 30, 2009

Gratitude: The Genius of Plants

Look, but don't touch!

Touch this plant and you'll get a wicked, itchy rash. It's poison oak, and around here it's just wakening from its winter sleep. I can't help but see its shiny red beauty.

Plants are amazing chemists. From soil, water, sunlight, and air they manufacture compounds that all the rest of life depends upon. Most of these compounds are useful to us in some way or another, either as food, medicine, or materials for clothing or shelter. How do plants know how to do these things? Their intelligence amazes me.

Kindergarten kids will tell me, we humans don't need plants; we can survive on animals. I guess they see us eating nothing but meat and cheese, wearing nothing but leather and fur, and living in leather wigwams. They forget that animals need to plants to eat and breathe. No plants, no animals.

3 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hello Dan

I have just been writing about some beautiful lilies so I endorse your plant sentiments.

Today I been out to buy a few new novels. I usually pull out all the torn bits of book reviews that I have garnered from the weekend Australian Review and go off armed, but am invariably disappointed that the books are unavailable, my bits too outdated...

I like to buy 4 or 5 at once and know I am well stocked. I hate to be without a book or two up my sleeve.

Today I have found -
Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
The Vagrants by YiYun Li
The Good Mayor by Andrew Nicoll
and Solo by Rana Dasgupta

all look very promising...

So today for gratitude I thank all of these authors for their talents and their efforts.

Sarah Lulu said...

Hmmm I don't think we have poison oak but I've of course seen/heard about it on the movies.

I'm a very allergic person so thank God we don't have it.

Delwyn, I love to read too, let me know something I should try next.

FrankandMary said...

No little Go Green 5 year olds around you? I don't eat meat, but I love having animals around, uhm, not pre-packaged. Gratitude...that was the word that drew me to the entry..... Love that word, we all need to engage it more. ~Mary