Monday, March 2, 2009

Gratitude: Green Soup


This evening I'm grateful three times over:

Numero Uno:

Elizabeth, who started a new rotation in her medical school career: surgery. She's enjoying/enduring a significant snowstorm in New York City. They have 15 boxes of cereal for the next 18 weeks. They're prepared!



Numero Dos:

Green Soup. "Green soup" is the name that daughter Elizabeth gave to our trusty recipe for a simple, healthy meal. We used to call it "zucchini soup" after Karin Grobe's recipe.

We discovered you don't need zucchinis. You don't even need a recipe. Just chop up whatever aging veggies you've got in your house, throw them in the cast iron pot with some water and cook till tender. Ladle the cooked veggies and their broth into the blender and blend until smooth. The resulting soup is thick, seemingly creamy, luscious, and healthy as all get out. Sprinkle on some real (or, in my case, faux) cheese.

Serve with steamed yams and you're good to go. Tonight's green soup was made from onions, turnips, turnip greens, celery, broccoli, bok choy, spinach, and kale, all of it organic, all of it wilted, limp, or languishing from waiting too long for us to cook them, and most of it from Farmer Scott. Once cooked up into soup, though these veggies became ambrosia.



Numero Tres:

My little camera that can take videos. Technology is almost too good. If you're interested in kindergarten education you can see a little video I took this afternoon of a mid-year kindergarten assessment over on my Soundabet blog. Here you go: Soundabet.

6 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

I saw the snow in New York this morning on our breakfast television programme as I got ready for work. SO beautiful.

I'm a bit of a hoarder myself ....always have an extra something just in case!

Delwyn said...

While your green soup sounds yummy its too hot here to think of hot soup.

Today I have to be thankful that my husband is concerned enough about computer viruses to send me the warning.

Then I am grateful that my son is savvy enough to know that the warning itself was possibly a virus

and I am grateful I didn't catch anything.

Butler and Bagman said...

You have taken the concept of making a gratitude list to a whole new level. I like it.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu, I have to rely on the images I get over the internet. They're more than adequate.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, I actually got two of those emails with the virus attached with a .zip file attached. I generally don't open any files from strangers, as a precaution against viruses. So far I've avoided these contagions...knock on wood.

Dan Gurney said...

B&B, thanks. I'm inclining my mind before bed to what I'm grateful for at the end of each day. It promotes good sleep, good dreams.