Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gratitude


I pulled over on the drive home from school today to take this picture. I live about 7.5 miles from the school where I teach and it can be quite a beautiful trip.

Six errands later, I was home to make dinner in time for us to get to our class in Non Violent Communication. As is our habit after class, we had dessert at the Starlight, usually a cozy little restaurant housed in a railroad dining car parked more or less permanently on the eastern edge of Sebastopol.

Tonight the atmosphere of the restaurant was strongly scented by a loud conversation between a young man and woman on their third date. They seemed to be getting to know each other well enough over a bottle of wine to take their relationship to "the next level." It was exactly the sort of conversation one wishes NOT to overhear. We didn't linger.

Tonight I am grateful for:

  • The work of Judith Martin in the service of Miss Manners.
  • A sky filled with interesting clouds.
  • Learning the skills of self-empathy.

5 comments:

Delwyn said...

What's the crop in your photo Dan?

Friday for some is TGIF but I don't feel that anymore...

every day is good when you don't have to work...

I thinking tonight about:
Alexander Mc Call Smith's great little novels about Mme Ramotswe in Botswana - such delightful reads.

A cooler day - it's easier to sleep

and for travel and the wonderful places I've been to

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, I got to attend a lecture in Santa Barbara by Alexander Mc Call Smith when my son was going to college there. He's an upbeat, merry fellow. The field was just planted in grapes. (I live in wine country.) Most of the vegetation you see are weeds--mustard.

Frisky Librarian said...

A man after my own heart. I love a sky full of interesting clouds.

(Delwyn suggested I pop in. I look forward to poking around a bit more when it's not past my bedtime.)

Katherine said...

What a lovely, comfortable and friendly photo. And the clouds are timely - my assignment for the weekend was to make at least three drawings (charcoal and/or graphite) of clouds! As at the time of writing this, I have done two...
:-)

Dan Gurney said...

Frisky and Katherine, I'm glad you like clouds. We've had a day of clear blue skies. Miss those puffy things in the sky.