Friday, March 13, 2009

Gratitude

Friday the 13th is, I know, thought to be unlucky.

But I had a good day.

My student teacher, Amanda Brice, took over my class so that I could complete the report cards. She (and the students) had a wonderful day painting Starry Night (as inspired by Van Gogh), went on a Weegee Hunt, made felt people, did PE and snack, and generally just had a fine time.

On the blog, here, a new visitor, Vickie, left a comment about a website that I had forgotten about but is, I think, worth a visit, Mindful Parent. They've got meditations, verses, podcasts, and a newsletter, all of it designed to help us stay in the moment and connected to the children in our lives. Thank you Vickie!

My wife, Sarah, was appointed as the alternate representative for our region to the statewide California Coastal Commission, a very powerful statewide planning and land-use agency governing coastal property. She spent the day in Monterey, attending her first meeting. She's out of town this weekend at a law review class, leaving me home to a quiet house.

7 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan, I'm intrigued- whats a weegee hunt? sounds like a 'wedgie'

For today:

I am saddened by the huge oil spill on our beautiful coastline, but need to be grateful for many people helping to clean it up

I an thankful that my younger daughter and boyfriend want to have dinner with us

and grateful that cyclone Hamish blew himself away and the sun has returned.

Sarah Lulu said...

Delwyn the coastline is shocking. It was good to see on the news all the people coming out to help clean up the oil spill.

Dan I live felt people.

I think I'm well suited to kindergarten *smile*.

I do a lot of sandplay therapy with the children I case manage. Any excuse to play!

Sarah Lulu said...

That should be love felt people ...but maybe it's fruedian and I'm actually a felt person myself.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, I hope your dinner with daughter and boyfriend goes well. Bearing in mind how it felt when we were the youngsters can be helpful. Fires, cyclones, and oil spills! You guys have had more than your share of difficulties this fall.

The "Weegee" is simply a girl-scout-invented stand-in for the bear in "Going on a Bear Hunt." The girl scouts thought that the bear was too scary. A "Weegee" is purely imaginary, so I suppose it could be far scarier than a bear, depending on one's imagination.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu, thanks for pointing out the wonderful double meaning in the phrase, "felt people." I'd missed it. Kindergarten is a happy place, still.

Delwyn said...

Dan: What can't we even have bear monsters now...Kids love scarey stuff.

Dan Gurney said...

I know, Delwyn. I think scary stories can help kids cope with their own scary imaginations by normalizing them. But heaven forbid! Can't allow that. Then we sit them in front of horror shows on the dvd. Go figure.