Sunday, April 12, 2009

Global Warming in Australia

I ran across an article in the Chicago Tribune about the effects of global warming as they are being felt in Australia. Apparently Australia epitomizes accelerated climate crisis.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Suicide is high. Depression is huge. Families are breaking up. It's devastation," he said, shaking his head. "I've got a neighbor in terrible trouble. Found him in the paddock, sitting in his [truck], crying his eyes out. Grown men—big, strong grown men. We're holding on by the skin of our teeth. It's desperate times."

A result of climate change?

"You'd have to have your head in the bloody sand to think otherwise," Eddy said.
You can read the whole article here: Global Warming: Australia.

And, if you need something to lift the despair after reading that story, read this interview with James Lovelock who sees a silver lining on the fix we've gotten ourselves into. To read the Lovelock interview, go HERE.

7 comments:

Delwyn said...

Interesting articles Dan. I wonder when govts will begin to take serious measures. Drought has always been apart of Australia. But the Murray Darling Basin is severely depleted at present. We have had so much rain in Qld this month and they still have not. Our damns are over 50% full so restrictions have been eased for the first time in a long time. It is hard to know what to believe. I tend to go along with the cyclic theory but that doesn't bode well for future generations.

Ribbon said...

Hi I'm just out blog hopping and I landed here.
I'm an Australian and from where I'm sitting things don't appear as grim as the article presents.
Best wishes Ribbon :-)

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn,

I can't speak for Australia's decision makers, but the United States National Government dances to the tune that its corporate citizens call. Ordinary human citizens aren't buying the lobbying power necessary to have much influence over our government. In fact, we ordinary taxpaying citizens like me are having our pockets picked these days.

Dan Gurney said...

Ribbon,

Glad to hear that. I'm tempted to say the same thing, but when I read about the Arctic polar ice cap thinning and melting I'm very worried the scientists who study this thing ought to be listened to. I'm afraid our complacency will be our doom.

Sarah Lulu said...

Hi Dan, we are in drought here as well ....
many farms for sale, men walking off the land.

Dan Gurney said...

Here in California, we're having a drought, though not as severe as the one in the 70s. I hope that somehow humans will wake up to the reality/severity of our situation, but so far there's little sign of our doing so. I'm worried for my children and (future) grandchildren.

Delwyn said...

I have heard on the radio today at a national hearing for the response to global warming the consensus from CSIRO (our top scientific research Group) is that the govt measures aren't nearly enough. They say we have to avoid a 2* increase that seems likely by 2050 to avoid calamity.

The local paper also had an article on the meaning of ENESCO Biosphere rating which I will fine the link for. It's primarily about sustainability, pop control and education regarding conservation and the ecology of the area.