Monday, April 6, 2009

Gratitude: The Whole Catastrophe

Sometimes these gratitude posts get to feel cloying, Pollyanna-ish.

People might think my life is a walk in the park. It's not. There's no way of knowing, I suppose, how one's happiness compares to other people's.

My effort to incline my mind towards gratitude each evening is intentional and intended to deliberately sweeten my mind which is actually often somewhat sour.

Lately I've been pretty upset at the whole human race for fouling its nest through pollution and environmental degradation. I'm not pointing fingers here. I'm as responsible as anyone else, probably more, being a relatively well-off human being living in the United States. For example, I don't fly much, but I've flown more than my fair share. I heard that the earth could not sustain ONE jet flight for each human being. I've flown a lot more than once, and I'll fly more than once more in my life. So I'm already way over my fair share. But I am trying to shrink my carbon footprint as much as I can.

In any event, I'm grateful for:

  • giving some thought to the world I'm leaving behind for my grandchildren,
  • clean water to drink,
  • a house in a quiet neighborhood in a walkable town,
  • clean air to breathe, and
  • wholesome, local, organic vegetarian food in my belly.

4 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan,

I think this gratitude practice of ours keeps us focused on what we have, what is working ok, what we are already enjoying.
It keeps us in the present.

We don't pretend that the whole world is that way but we identify little pieces that are.

And it doesn't exempt us from doing our bit to ensure that the future generations can feel the same way.

Today I am grateful for the govt offer to subsidise solar panels - we will install a set

for viable employment for my family

and for the fact that we are not earthquake prone in Qld.

vickie said...

This is one disgusted reader too! disgusted yes with the way we have created such environmental disaster, and much of it without necessity and being born out of monetary interest. i am in the middle of reading Rachel Carson's Silent Spring and am feeling very "disgusted".

i like the idea of sweetening our minds with gratitude....there is so much to be greatful for. this morning it was hearing the songs of birds and being aware of their beauty and the wonder they bring us.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, I so agree. I love going to your blog for a dose of seeing the beauty that IS around us. You live in a particularly beautiful corner of the world, and, just as important, the eyes and heart open enough to see it coupled with the will to share it.

Dan Gurney said...

Vickie, yes, it's really important to sweeten the mind. Nature is SO beautiful and so forgiving. We must always be grateful to the natural world for its generosity and unselfconscious loveliness.