Saturday, May 16, 2009

iWalk Sebastopol

Today we spent most of the day walking, talking, and singing our way around town. It's all part of a new program called iWalk Sebastopol, a project of the County Health Department to get people in touch with the noblest form of transportation for humans ever: walking. It was great fun to walk and talk and sing!



The walk started—and finished—at the Sebastopol Town Plaza. About 30 people began the loop around town here at the Plaza as the Mayor gave us a little pep talk to begin. Our friends and walking superheroes Richard and Brenda led the first leg of the walk to the high school.


By the time we got to the Peace Park, we had picked up the leader of the third leg of the walk, Jim Corbett, aka Mr. Music, Sebastopol's 2009 Citizen of the Year, here posing with my wife the Mayor. I cannot tell you how much fun I had singing and walking around town. It was like Christmas Carolling, but in a much more pleasant season of the year.

8 comments:

Cloudia said...

What good fun! Come walk here in Hawaii. aloha

Sarah Lulu said...

Lovely Dan, is your wife the mayor?

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan,
what a lovely idea - exercise, music and the fostering of community spirit all rolled in to one...
and it does look warmer in your photo...
lovely photo of Mrs/Ms Mayor too...

Happy Days

Katherine said...

I love walking! And to sing at the same time sounds wonderful!
I'm just in the middle of composing a post about my walk around the Mount reserve yesterday...

Dan Gurney said...

Cloudia, welcome to Mindful Heart! It was fun!

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu, yes, my wife is the Mayor of Sebastopol. She loves it. Her duties keep her busily engaged in civic life, and I'm a happy beneficiary of her involvement. It's fun to be the "first man" of the town you live in. Or fun for me, at least.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, yes, right now we're in the middle of a little heat wave. The weather forecast calls for more seasonable temperatures soon.

Walking and talking is great. Walking and singing better. I suppose dancing and singing is best of all.

Dan Gurney said...

Katherine, I look forward to your post on walking around Mt. Reserve. I could not discern what the mass of roots (if that's what it is) in your photo really was.