Saturday, May 23, 2009

San Francisco At My Feet

I carpooled to San Francisco with my friends and neighbors Richard, Brenda, and Nick to join the Northbay hike along the California Coastal Trail there. Richard led the hike. Nineteen hikers traveled the 10.5 mile loop beginning at the Golden Gate Bridge and meandered west along the California Coastal Trail out to the Great Beach before looping back through Golden Gate Park and the Presidio.

Here are a few pictures I took along the way.


The Golden Gate Bridge. It was quite overcast and chilly.



The mansions in Pacific Heights are among the most beautful residences I know.



The ruins of the Sutro baths.




A rose in the Rose Gardens of Golden Gate Park.



A protea growing along the sidewalk along Park Presidio Drive.



Our group listens as Richard tells us how Mountain Lake is the
only spring-fed natural Lake in San Francisco.




Nearing the finish of the day. Richard received a "standing ovation" at the end of the hike.

11 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

I would very much like to visit San Fransisco ...
it's always been a little dream ..I couldn't walk /hike like you do with my rhuematoid arthritis ..
I can only do short distances ...but I don't suppose that would be a problem ..but I tell you what is ....I'm scared of earthquakes!

Delwyn said...

Dan,
what a great walk you had...and that is a splendid protea you captured.

Happy Days

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu, much of what we saw yesterday could be quite easily seen with very short walks from a car. (Last December my wife, daughter and I did a very similar circuit using a car.) Tiny three wheel cars for tourists to see the city can be rented at Fisherman's Wharf. Earthquakes are definitely possible and a fact of life we must live with. All part of the miracle.

Dan Gurney said...

Protea. Thanks. So many amazing spring blossoms everywhere in the city in May.

Meri said...

Beautiful shots from what sounds like an interesting group hike. Being more of a living room kind of woman, short segments sound more appealing to me than the whole 10 mile hike.

Margaret Pangert said...

Beautiful shots - evoke the area. I also like to go north to the Fort Bragg - Mendocino area and south to the Robinson Jeffers's tower - Big Sur area. It all beats the bland New Jersey "down the shore!"

Small Footprints said...

Oh ... what fun! I used to live in the Bay Area and loved walking through the places you visited. Your pictures of the slightly foggy day reminded me, so much, of my time there. Lucky you for going on this hike ... and thank you for sharing it with us!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Dan Gurney said...

Meri, thanks for stopping by! Yes it was a fun hike. You know, of the 19 hikers 14 were women. I think it's within the ability of most people to walk 10 miles, but something you just have to do to believe.

Dan Gurney said...

Margaret, yes I am so lucky to live along the spectacular California coast. It is lovely. Like you, I love the whole of it around here. Mendocino is especially nice.

Sarah Lulu said...

Tiny 3 wheel cars can be rented at Fisherman's Wharf? Ok Dan ...I'm adding San Fransisco to my must do's ....and what am I going to do ...live in fear of an earthquake, stay home and die slowly? NOPE ... *big smile*

Thank you for inspiring me.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu,

You're welcome. Here's a link to the vehicles. They're called "Go Cars" and they look like a lot of fun.

http://www.sanfranciscotours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=3612

Probably the best time to come is in October when San Francisco weather is sunniest.