In my version, I'm going to choose a slightly different set of categories:
- Landmark Books,
- Books I've enjoyed this summer,
- Pastimes, and
- Bucket List.
These are books that shaped by view of the world.
- The Bible
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- The Tao te Ching translated by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- Middle Length Discourses Bhikku Bodhi
It was difficult to narrow this category down to only five songs; a lot of favorites didn't make this list. Just listening to music is like sitting by the pool and watching people swim. Singing is like diving in.
I've chosen songs that I've passed along and shared—heart to heart—with kindergartners and friends.
- This Little Light of Mine (traditional)
- Magic Penny by Malvina Reynolds
- Deeply Beautiful (an original adaptation of a song)
- This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
- Somos el Barco by Lorre Wyatt
Books I've Enjoyed This Summer
During the summer vacation I have the chance to read. Among the books I've enjoyed so far this summer are:
- Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen
- After the Ecstasy the Laundry by Jack Kornfield
- Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis
- The Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield
- Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
On the second-to-last day of school I injured my shoulder moving a piano and I am still having to baby it with the result being that the final two pastimes on this list are on the shelf so far this summer. Nonetheless they are:
- Sailing (and kayaking, too)
These are accomplishment I feel good about and hope to remember as I pass on from this life to the next:
- Husband and partner my wife
- Father of my daughter and son
- Teacher for more than 1,000 young children
- Creator of Soundabet
- Studied and shared Dharma, and really tried to integrate it into my moment-to-moment life.