Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Five x Five Meme

Delwyn over on Hazy Moon did a Five by Five meme back on July 6. The task is to list 5 things in 5 categories. Delwyn chose:

  1. books
  2. songs
  3. pastimes
  4. words
  5. experiences
She passed along her version of the meme with the suggestion to modify the categories to fit the author.

In my version, I'm going to choose a slightly different set of categories:
  1. Landmark Books,
  2. Songs,
  3. Books I've enjoyed this summer,
  4. Pastimes, and
  5. Bucket List.

Landmark Books:
These are books that shaped by view of the world.

  1. The Bible
  2. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
  3. The Tao te Ching translated by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English
  4. Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
  5. Middle Length Discourses Bhikku Bodhi


Songs:
It was difficult to narrow this category down to only five songs; a lot of favorites didn't make this list. Just listening to music is like sitting by the pool and watching people swim. Singing is like diving in.

I've chosen songs that I've passed along and shared—heart to heart—with kindergartners and friends.

  1. This Little Light of Mine (traditional)
  2. Magic Penny by Malvina Reynolds
  3. Deeply Beautiful (an original adaptation of a song)
  4. This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
  5. Somos el Barco by Lorre Wyatt


Books I've Enjoyed This Summer
During the summer vacation I have the chance to read. Among the books I've enjoyed so far this summer are:

  1. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen
  2. After the Ecstasy the Laundry by Jack Kornfield
  3. Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis
  4. The Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield
  5. Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan


Pastimes
On the second-to-last day of school I injured my shoulder moving a piano and I am still having to baby it with the result being that the final two pastimes on this list are on the shelf so far this summer. Nonetheless they are:

  1. Reading
  2. Blogging
  3. Walking
  4. Sailing (and kayaking, too)
  5. Bicycling

Bucket List
These are accomplishment I feel good about and hope to remember as I pass on from this life to the next:
  1. Husband and partner my wife
  2. Father of my daughter and son
  3. Teacher for more than 1,000 young children
  4. Creator of Soundabet
  5. Studied and shared Dharma, and really tried to integrate it into my moment-to-moment life.

9 comments:

Alden Smith (Nick name - Pal) said...

Dan your this post reminds me of how very unique we all are. Nobody but nobody but you could have made those choices and written about them - everything about us is like the fingerprints on the palms of our hands - utterly unique. Thanks, I enjoyed reading all that (and got some ideas for my reading list!)

Margaret Pangert said...

That was interesting, Dan! I hadn't known about Soundabet (although now I see you have another blog called that), and I think it's amazing! both the idea and that you're the founder. Congratulations! What a wonderful contribution! I do think music is a great learning device: the vibration stimulates learning, memory. I have a friend from my Cottonwood days, Syrie Lance of Red Bluff, Tehama County, who is a literacy coach and uses music to teach reading. When I taught Pre-K, I had the children form the letters of the alphabet with their bodies, kinesthetically feeling and learning the letters. Your students were totally absorbed in the video with your voice and the audio-visual board. Did you make it? The gong was a big hit! You read Three Cups of Tea this summer. I was so inspired by that book I hosted a little fundraiser for donated used books: someone from yoga goes to the outer regions of India every summer and drives around in a bus, passing out books. I pulled a book off my shelf after finding out about Soundabet called The Listening Book, Discovering Your Own Music, by W.A. Mathieu who lives in Sebastopol! I understand your choice of songs more now based on how I saw those children focused on singing the phonemes.
Thank you, Dan. You are pretty unique.

steven said...

hi dan, thanks for reminding me of delwyn's meme. i had banked it and after seeing your adaptations, i think i'll pop one together myself. it's wonderful to celebrate uniqueness and especially wonderful to see how your uniqueness expresses and informs itself!!! have a peaceful day. steven

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

You have made very interesting lists and I like the idea that they are not static...
Reading lists can and should change as we grow...
I pull a card from my Tao compendium every day to remind myself of yet another piece of wisdom...


Why are your achievements called a bucket list?

Thanks for giving us more of an insight into the Dan-ness of Dan...


Happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Pal,

I guess I'm always most enthusiastic about the book I'm currently reading...but if I had to pick one to put at the top of someone's list, it would be The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Margaret—

Thanks. Yes. Soundabet is a creation of mine. I self-publish all the the materials and I used to sell them on the Internet. After the kids cleared the college hurdle I took the Internet store down so as to "get a life" back. I still do the occasional Soundabet workshop...actually I'm teaching 55 people the Soundabet in Southern California the day after tomorrow.

Yes, I really enjoyed Three Cups of Tea.

Dan Gurney said...

Steven, I look forward to your five by five.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Delwyn,

Bucket lists get their name from the idea of the things you'd like to have done before you die (kick the bucket). It's been my practice for years to remind myself that I won't live forever...and to live each day accordingly. Typically bucket lists are future-oriented--you know, things people want to do before they die. Mine was a bit more past-oriented.

Sarah Lulu said...

Hello Dan,

I've been too busy to read much this week, but I especially looked to see what you had been doing.

So interesting ...getting a peek into your choices.

I did Delwyn's meme myself last week I think it was ...

The week has been a bit of a blur for me, still recovering from moving.

Today (Sunday) is clear and bright and crisp and beautiful.

I plan on taking it slowly.

Thanks again for sharing pieces of yourself.

Sarah