Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friends Meeting, Part 3 & Happy Interdependence Day

(This image is clipped from Google Images,
but I got the idea from Steven, author of The Golden Fish blog.)



At Friends Meeting last Tuesday, Steve shared the first stanza of this poem. I first read this poem in 1967 when I was a sophomore in high school. I struggled to understand most of the poetry my teacher asked me to read. I was just a kid, raised on TV, and not too interested in reading.

This sonnet by e.e. cummings stuck out because it was among the few that were within my ability to appreciate. Well, at least the first stanza of it. This was among the last poems e.e. cummings wrote. It was part of his final book of poetry, XAIPE, published in 1950, the year before I arrived, crying, in this world.

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

—e.e. cummings



Tomorrow we'll come around to the contribution I offered to the evening's meeting, a collection of sonnets that I wrote the morning of the meeting.


Finally, I want to wish my fellow Americans a Happy INTERdependence day. We're all in this world together, folks.

9 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

this is one of my favourite poems of all time...

my favourite phrase 'the leaping greenly spirits of trees'


I look forward to yours...

Happy days

Butler and Bagman said...

Wonderful collection of sonnets. And a wonderful impetus...my last week of reconnecting with family has made me think about poetry again...haven't written a new one for eight months...maybe time to do a few.

Margaret Pangert said...

I love that poem, especially the way it begins, and use it for Thanksgiving grace every year.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Delwyn,

I'm curious. Was e.e. cummings taught in NZ schools as a regular part of the curriculum when you were a student?

Dan Gurney said...

Mark, I hope you do write some more poetry. I find your poems to be raw, remarkable and memorable.

Dan Gurney said...

Margaret, me too. That first stanza really gets to the feeling of joy.

Alden Smith (Nick name - Pal) said...

It feels like an epithany, the scales falling off eyes and a song of thanksgiving.

steven said...

hi dan, my favourite e.e. cummings poem. i use it as a bookmark whenever i read. i carry it with me to school to remind me of what i value. lovely artwork as well! now where have is een that before! ha!!! we love similar goodness!! have a peaceful day. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Steven, I should have, no, shall credit you as my source for that image. It is lovely, and thank you.