Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Journals

Reya and Steven suggested bloggers share a page from their journals. A peek into the handwritten realm can reveal personality that blogging might conceal. Here's my offering—

I bought this journal at Spirit Rock. I liked its title.



July 27 was when this share-your-journal discussion got going
over in Reya's and Steven's blogs.
I got a package in the mail from my brother Jim that day.
It was touching and worth noting in my journal...




He sent me this copy of Drawing Made Easy.
It was the guidebook we used to guide our drawing sessions.





Jim wrote this incription. His fond memories are mutual.



He even mentions me in the forward he wrote for the re-issued edition.
A teacher's greatest satisfaction is being surpassed by his students!

By the way, if you want to see some really impressive sketchbook journaling, visit my brother's blog. Here's a link to one of the pages of his journal. People with better discernment than I possess say he's the best living master of the art of sketching. Who am I to argue with that? Check this out: Link to a post from Jim's Sketchbook

6 comments:

steven said...

hi dan, thanks for sharing this insight into your handwriting and journalling world. it's surprising to me how people are managing digital and analogue representations of their experiencing. there are similarities and differences.
the bad news here is that you are now simply james gurney's brother in my world view. you see my kids (and the ones i get to teach), ate up dinotopia because it truly is so visually and textually brilliant!
just playing with you there dan.
that picture on the plane of the gentlemen next to him is absolutely gobsmacking isn't it!!! have a peaceful evening. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Yes. I don't do nearly as much regular journal writing because blogging takes a good deal of the time and energy that once went into notebooks. But I still have one with my all the time.

My brother's work is amazing. It's really fun to look through his sketchbooks.

Margaret Pangert said...

Dan, that is so wonderful! Your influence on a younger beginning artist who is also your brother is huge! You both have proven to be very gifted in many arenas. Your brother's sketching people as well as fantasy characters is so creative. The fact that you also draw, write, invent your own lesson plans with such an ingenious prop as the Soundabet, sing, and sail is also very creative. You know how amazing that is! This is how we were meant to be. Sometimes blocks get in the way. I tried learning to draw with Betty Edwards's book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain which often directed one to draw the negative space of something (in other words, the space between two mountains) first. However, I would get into that mindset "I can't draw," "I can't sing . . " I like how your brother honored you in his dedication. Congratulations, Dan!

Alden Smith (Nick name - Pal) said...

Dan, in this day of computers it was so nice to see someones else's cursive writing, it reminded me of how our writing is like fingerprints, individual, unique.

Dan Gurney said...

Margaret, when young people tell me they can't do something (whether it's draw, sing, dance, or whatever) I often say, "You haven't learned how yet, but if you want to learn and you are patient with yourself, you can learn how to do it." Learning is largely a matter of persistence and skillful practice, made easier with a skillful teacher or guide to help you along.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Pal,

Maybe you could do a post showing your journal?