Friday, August 14, 2009

This Is It


What do you mean, "What comes next?"
This is it.



TRY: Reminding yourself from time to time: "This is it." See if there is anything at all that it cannot be applied to. Remind yourself that acceptance of the present moment has nothing to do with resignation in the face of what is happening. It simply means a clear acknowledgment that what is happening is happening. Acceptance doesn't tell you what to do. What happens next, what you choose to do, that has to come out of your understanding of this moment. You might try acting out of a deep knowing of "This is it." Does it influence how you choose to proceed or respond? Is it possible for you to contemplate that in a very real way, this may actually be the best season, the best moment of your life? If that was so, what would it mean for you?

—Jon Kabat-Zinn in Wherever You Go There You Are


Today's post is from Jon Kabat-Zinn's book,
Wherever You Go There You Are. In his book he describes a New Yorker cartoon of two Zen monks having this conversation, but I couldn't find it on the web. This cartoon serves the purpose well, and reminds us to look out in the natural world that supports our lives: the natural world is chock full of miracles.

13 comments:

jinksy said...

That's a very fundamental truth - all we ever have is this NOW moment. It gave me the title for my today's post, too!

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh yes ...it took me SUCH a long time to get to that piece of understanding.

Alden Smith said...

I love this post, because it states yet again the insight of the sages from all traditions - that what is on your doorstep at this moment is what you should be dealing with, this moment and these present circumstances are where you forge your meaning. This moment begets the next, each moment seared and shot through with meaning for those that have the eyes to see, and the ears to hear.

Jessica said...

Great post...remembering that "This is it" is so helpful when trying to living mindfully...that phrase always helps bring me back to the present moment when my mind decides to wonder. Wherever You Go There You Are is such a wonderful book. I read it for the first time about a year ago. Since then I have been beginning my journey into Buddhism. John Kabat-Zinn has a beautiful straight forward way of introducing and discussing mindfulness.

steven said...

hi dan, i was just reflecting on some of my writing and this very idea - to be in this moment as fully as i can begins with accepting that this is it - emerged. it is written here more clearly and concisely and so thankyou. have a peaceful evening. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Jinksy, and welcome to Mindful Heart. I visited your poetic blog and enjoyed what I saw there. I'm glad you found something here to use in your blog...and you're right. Even memories of the past and worries of the future can be experienced in only one place: THIS VERY MOMENT. Once we know that we have more space, more choice about how we shall decide to think about (if at all) the past and future.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu: congratulations! I'm still not there.

I spend a good deal of time in "past" and "future" but at least I realize my decision to go there and decide, usually, to come back to the magnificent and wonderful present moment.

Dan Gurney said...

Alden, well said, my Pal.

Dan Gurney said...

Jessica--welcome to Mindful Heart...and to the study of Buddhism. Jon's a good place to begin. I got to meet him in 2003. He signed my copy of the book. I visited your blog and I'll be back.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Steven,

It seems to me that you've integrated a good deal of this wisdom in your life based on what I've read in your blog. That said, it always helps to find someone who states these ideas freshly, crisply, and succinctly.

Andromeda said...

<3

spldbch said...

I really like the little cartoon:-)

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, spldbch--thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love New Yorker cartoons. I don't suppose that makes me all that unique.