Friday, January 29, 2010

Full Wolf Moon

The Full Wolf Moon sails overhead as I write. This full moon is at perigee, meaning it is now closer to Earth than it usually is because the moon's orbit is not a circle, but an ellipse. It's not all that often that the moon is at perigee when it is full, but it is tonight. So we are treated to a full moon that's a little bit closer (30,000 miles closer) appearing a little bit bigger and a shining bit brighter than most full moons. It also produces higher and lower tides than usual. If you want a little bit more information, go here to the Space article.

Go out and enjoy the view if you're lucky enough to have clear skies. And look for Mars that red "star" not too far away.





Leaning alone in the close bamboos,
I am playing my lute and humming a song
Too softly for anyone to hear --
Except my comrade, the bright moon.


Wang Wei

     

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

I actually howled a bit tonight! Very fun!

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Hi Dan:

The moon was glorious last night. It was my birthday and in frigid temperatures I allowed myself to linger a bit in its light - imagining for a selfish moment that it might be aware of the appreciation I felt.

I was not aware of the details you share and that it was closer to us last night - thank you - again.

steven said...

dan looking out the window last night around midnight - the snow was the palest grey because the moon was so clear and the sky so cloudless that it lit the air. the twenty eight below zero air! steven

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Kathleen...and you wrote about howling in your 55 blog. I loved the photo that went with it. I should've howled, too.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Bonnie. Happy birthday, and happy cleanse. An auspicious beginning for the new year with the moon, your birthday, and your new regimen.

Dan Gurney said...

steven, twenty eight below zero! Wow. That's got be be really cold. I know I've never experienced cold like that. Thanks for the link to wang wei.

Jim714 said...

A beautiful quatrain by Wang Wei; he's one of my favorites.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Jim... yes he's my first favorite. Just getting to know these guys.