Saturday, January 23, 2010

HeartSteps Blog

Bonnie over at Original Art Studio has a great post today. I especially loved the poem by Wendy Smyer Yu:

Autumn

I will nurse this autumn carefully,
treat its brittleness gently,
smooth its crumbling edges, its weeping afternoons.

I will rise early and go to it,
wrap it in a soft cloth
and watch its breathing.

I will nurture this autumn knowing
it is myself
in a pure and golden form,
and that childlike
soft words will be brought bubbling up
to be recorded in the patterns of leaves
and the low fog coming across the bay.

I will accept this death
and be content with its coming and watch
its coming
and speak of its coming in slow poems
until at last
there will be no more words,
you will hear only the sound of rain as you sleep.

~Wendy Smyer Yu

I don't know a thing about Wendy Smyer Yu. This poem, though, is as arresting as if it had been written by Mary Oliver.

An internet search for Wendy turned up a blog I like: HeartSteps.  This blogger had posted this poem some time ago. I've noodled around in HeartSteps just enough to see a kindred spirit there. Readers of MindfulHeart might enjoy it, too.

6 comments:

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Hi Dan,

At your suggestion, I went over to 'Heartsteps' and had a 'strange' (perhaps synchronistic would be a better word) experience - I saw that she too had posted the Yu poem about Autumn as you and I have - but also saw in scrolling down to her second post on the screen that she had a poem by Nancy Wood that I almost posted today and have in my lineup for future posts - "...I talk to the Earth when ..."!!! What are the chances?! I'll be posting the Nancy Wood poem soon - I feel as if it comes from my heart too.

I did notice, however, that those posts come from back in May 2009 - and seem to be her most recent posts. I wonder if she will come back to posting again soon?

I'm glad you enjoyed my post and thank you for the link.

Dan Gurney said...

I've been in contact with heartsteps through email. Abroad, busy with work, and planning to get back to blogging soon.

Jenny Stevning said...

Splendid poem. Thank you for sharing this new found treasure!

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Jenny. A new poem, a new gift.

The Pollinatrix said...

Thanks for sharing this blog. I've checked it out and it's gorgeous. I've had some synchronicity there too, which will factor into my next post.

Dan Gurney said...

Cool. I look forward to it, Polli.