Sunday, January 10, 2010

Walter Update Jan. 10 in 55 words.

Linden Hills is a blog featuring very short stories told in exactly 55 words. I want to provide my readers with a nonfiction update on Walter based on a phone call I got yesterday. What follows is just 55 words:


******************************************************

The phone. “Hello?”

“It’s Gretchen. I’m calling about Dad.” She sounded tired.

“Hi. How’s Walter?”

“Still in ICU—on light chemo. He wakes, sleeps.... I just don’t know...”

“Difficult?”

“Yes.”

“How’s your daughter, Emily?”

“Hard. They were, are, so close.”

“Meditating, here, they glowed. 18 and 85. How can I help?”

“Will you—pray?”

“Yes.”

13 comments:

Christian Gerike said...

Thank you for the updates, Dan. I include Walter in my daily meditations - the part where I reflect on heart wisdom which Walter has shown me the richness and depth of.

Dan Gurney said...

You're welcome, Christian, for the updates. Our group is the main audience for these updates, but thanks to the Internet, Walter's prayer support appears to be spread across the globe. Thank you, Christian, for including Walter in your practice. I know it helps.

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Being present and available - true gifts.

steven said...

their ages 18 and 85 - meaningless in the face of love. blessings and my prayers for walter. steven

The Pollinatrix said...

"Heart wisdom" is the prayer energy I feel here, and will participate in for and with Walter and you.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Bonnie. Gifts in the midst of difficulties. Thanks.

Dan Gurney said...

steven, yes. Love that spans a wide age gap purifies love by removing sexual energy from the relationship and allowing a purer, less complicated, but still strong love to emerge.

Dan Gurney said...

Susan, thanks. You've go a lot of heart wisdom, too. Thanks for sending some out this way.

Jenny Stevning said...

55 words later...my heart is broken but full of love. Thank you.

Dan Gurney said...

Jenny, you're welcome. I'm still thinking about the poor ducklings. And how much I like your curvy necks. Thank you for telling that story.

Sarah Lulu said...

Sending love. xx

Delwyn said...

I've been thinking of Walter today and the bond you have with him. It will be a great loss for you when he leaves.

My thoughts are with you too
happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Sarah Lulu and Delwyn. All the way from Australia. Walter will feel it, I'm sure. I'm sure I do.