Thursday, January 7, 2010

Walter Update




It's said that people who maintain a long-term meditation practice are preparing for death.

I cannot say if that's true. Perhaps people who meditate seek to live life fully awake. I can say that in meditation ordinary day-to-day consciousness can fall far away. And in meditation's deep peace we have the possibility of discerning more skillful ways to live.

********************************

My friend, Walter, has been near death for the past few days. He had had seizures and was put on high-dosage seizure medications which put him in an unresponsive state that doctors described as a coma. Recently the doctors stopped his anti-seizure medication.  Soon after, Walter regained ordinary consciousness and began talking with people. The doctors described the process as "bringing him back from the edge."

When Walter was asked about having his eyes closed for three days he said, "I was doing zazen the whole time."

Of course!

Walter's zazen gladdens me.

Keep it up, my friend.

14 comments:

Dayne Gingrich said...

Keep us informed. Thanks for the update.

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

How skillful! How moving.

steven said...

dan i'm sending my blessings and prayers for your friend walter! a peaceful day my friend. steven also, thankyou for your addition to my post today.

Jenny Stevning said...

Oh...sweet Walter...beautiful!!!!!

The Pollinatrix said...

This reminds me of when the twelve-year-old Jesus is "lost" in Jerusalem for three days and when his frantic parents finally find him in the temple, he's surprised at their worry and says, "Didn't you know I'd be in my Father's house?"

Dan Gurney said...

Dayne, I will! Thanks.

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, thanks for commenting. Yes, Walter's a skillful guy. He's been around.

Dan Gurney said...

Steven, thank you. I really loved your post yesterday, and I can see many others did, too. Thank YOU for appending my little addition to your poem. Collaboration in poetry has precedent in some Japanese forms. I may do a post about that.

Dan Gurney said...

Jenny, thanks for your comment here and on steven's blog.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Pollinatrix-- I hadn't thought of that particular story, but it does resonate. Perhaps we never actually leave what Jesus calls "His Father's House."

The Pollinatrix said...

We are never lost?

Dan Gurney said...

Ah, good question! We are always lost. We are never lost.

If you are lost and you know you're lost, you're not really lost.

If you think you know right where you are, boy, you're really really lost, but just don't know it. Yet. But you will surely lose your way, find out how lost you've been, and then you won't be lost anymore.

The Pollinatrix said...

If you're lost and you know it, clap your hands...

Dan Gurney said...

And take a bow.