Monday, February 15, 2010

Inner Space

My friend and poet Jim Wilson over at Shaping Words offers this poem today:

Inner Space

Planets in the sky
And numberless stars
The space of the heart
Goes at least that far



If I may be so bold as to add a comentary....

In the travel-obsessed culture I live in, Jim's poem serves as a helpful reminder that the space within is equally vast, and maybe more vast. To become more fully realized human beings, a mediation practice may be more efficient, more effective and more ecologically sustainable than checking another continent off of our Bucket List.

Besides, no matter how many frequent flyer miles you manage to use, you're only going to see a very small part of what's out there.

Click this link to see the known outer universe from large to small: A Tour of The Universe. As you watch the slide show, think about Jim's suggestion about the vastness of inner space awaiting the meditation practitioner.

Enjoy the ride!

8 comments:

jinksy said...

I'd say the space of the heart goes further than any galaxy...

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

I would add that the love in the space of the heart could heal the world, if we would but access it and allow it ...

Such an important perspective you offer here Dan.

steven said...

dan - the inner space is entire, the outer space is limited by its very design. thanks for this. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Jinksy, The heart is vast in many dimensions, including time....

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, I think the love in everyone's heart IS healing the world all the time even right now... but it would certainly be glad if we would, as you suggest, but access it and allow it.

I'm glad you enjoy my contributions to the conversations in bloggyland. I enjoy your contributions very much as well.

Dan Gurney said...

steven, well put.

thanks for all you do to inspire my blog. i've been working several hours today on a poem that was inspired in part by one of your posts. I will put it up soon. Called "Waterfall" I think it's one of the best of my efforts in the poetic realm.

(I guess you always love the meal you just cooked best, huh?)

Dave King said...

Well said this, as is the poem.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you Dave. I appreciate you for leaving a comment.