Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Variegated Daphne

 
Variegated Daphne in my backyard. When I smell it, I swoon with delight.

It seems I have plenty of company in my corner of bloggoland who feel the first day of spring out to be marked on the calendar right about now, halfway between the darkest night of winter and the equinox of spring.* In any event plants all over my yard are yelling in their quiet plant voices, "SPRING IS HERE!!! SPRING IS HERE!!!"

Here's what my Daphne told me to tell you:

Daphne's Verse

"Plants are smart, I know they've heard
When humans talk, we talk in words.

English, Spanish, French and Dutch
Russian, Finnish—we talk too much.

Words that cross the oceans wide,
Words that anger and divide.

So when plants have something they just must tell us,
They won't say much, just "Look, you—Smell us!"

—Dan Gurney


*With apologies to my Austral readers, asking their forgiveness of this Northern Hemispheric audacity.

16 comments:

steven said...

thanks for listening to and passing on daphne's words!!! beautiful to look at - beautiful to listen to. steven

The Pollinatrix said...

She's a bit of a flirt, isn't she?

Delwyn said...

OK Dan, you are forgiven 'cos I just love Daphne... none in my neck of the woods though but it is in my Dad's garden in NZ.

I think Daphne is swooning with your sweet poetic attentions...

Happy 'spring is a coming' days

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, steven. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we humans could quieten and beautify the world as do the flowering plants? I know we can at least try.

Dan Gurney said...

Daphne's absolutely beautiful. She wears a perfume that knocks me out. And she practices wise speech. Yes, I'm in love.

Dan Gurney said...

Delwyn, you're awfully nice to say that, but I doubt my love is requited. You see, I came at her with clippers and have amputated one of the fingers which sits by Buddha on my mantel. I beg her forgiveness.

I have it on good authority Daphne's got an animal-world honey whose name begins with B.

Bagman and Butler said...

That poem is a hoot! Great message, great presentation, mind-tickling last line!

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Mark. I love your poems.

Being Me said...

love the poem...

BM

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you for stopping by, Being Me.

Katherine said...

Delightful Dan. The poem, the sentiment, and, of course that heady, sweet-lemon scent!

Stream Source said...

Love in bloom, they named her Daphne.

It will be quite a while before my Spring awakens, so I'm happy to share a taste of yours. I have no Variegated Daphne, but I feel the same way about my Virginiana Magnolia. Her fragrance is transcendant... infinitely sweet, complex - yet unassuming with simple, single, pale blooms.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Katherine. You good people in New Zealand enjoy Daphne, too.

Dan Gurney said...

Stream Source, thanks for commenting. We've got Magnolias here, too.. also a wonderful fragrance. Isn't it funny how inadequate words are for fragrances?

The Pollinatrix said...

Ah magnolias! They're one of the main Louisiana flowers I miss. They are, in fact, the state flower of Louisiana, and it's illegal to pick them.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Polli,

The Magnolias spoke some sense to the lawmakers in Louisiana. I think it's legal here in California, but you can't pick the golden poppy.