Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vineyard Walk in Early Spring

DW and I took a nice walk along the Santa Rosa Creek trail today. Spring is happening. Mustard flowers are beginning to appear between the rows of the sleeping vines.



Another grape grower has gotten around to mowing between the rows.



I find it scandalous that I can find grapes for sale in grocery stores in February right here in California wine country when the plant world is shouting, "Look!! No grapes!!"

The grapes for sale here, now, traveled from somewhere very far away, like Chile. If I had to walk to the vineyard those grapes grew in, why, it might take me eight or ten years to get there!

Cesar Chavez became famous for leading boycotts of grapes grown by poorly paid farm workers. I certainly shall continue to boycott businesses that make grapes go to such lengths.

5 comments:

steven said...

dan - such beautiful scenes. such green!!! rows and rows of beauty! steven

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Dan: I second the motion! Love the views that surround you. The rows of stakes for the grapevines, planted so precisely, make great patterns. I bet it is amazing to see from the sky.

P.S. I heard from Wendy Smyer Yu by email - she was very glad to discover that her poem pleased us both.

Dan Gurney said...

hi steven. yes, it's spring here. spring. spring. spring. Glorious spring.

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, she emailed me too. Last week I got emails from 3 poets whom I greatly admire. Mary Oliver has yet to email me, but I'm hoping someday....

The Pollinatrix said...

Gorgeous photos. And I'll forgive you for rubbing your spring in my face. I'm nice that way.