Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Friends Meeting Last Night

Our Society of Friends of the Buddha meeting last night turned out to be a poetry fest. In the next couple of days I'll share a couple of the poems we heard and talked about.

Marc shared this poem by Hafiz:


I Know the Way You Can Get

I know the way you can get
When you have not had a drink of Love:
  
Your face hardens,
Your sweet muscles cramp.
Children become concerned
About a strange look that appears in your eyes
Which even begins to worry your own mirror
And nose.
  
Squirrels and birds sense your sadness
And call an important conference in a tall tree.
They decide which secret code to chant
To help your mind and soul.
  
Even angels fear that brand of madness
That arrays itself against the world
And throws sharp stones and spears into
The innocent
And into one's self.
  
O I know the way you can get
If you have not been drinking Love:
  
You might rip apart
Every sentence your friends and teachers say,
Looking for hidden clauses.
  
You might weigh every word on a scale
Like a dead fish.
  
You might pull out a ruler to measure
From every angle in your darkness
The beautiful dimensions of a heart you once
Trusted.
  
I know the way you can get
If you have not had a drink from Love's
Hands.
  
That is why all the Great Ones speak of
The vital need
To keep remembering God,
So you will come to know and see Him
As being so Playful
And Wanting,
Just Wanting to help.
  
That is why Hafiz says:
Bring your cup near me.
  
For I am a Sweet Old Vagabond
With an Infinite Leaking Barrel
Of Light and Laughter and Truth
That the Beloved has tied to my back.
  
Dear one,
Indeed, please bring your heart near me.
For all I care about
Is quenching your thirst for freedom!
  
All a Sane man can ever care about
Is giving Love!
 
--Hafiz 

12 comments:

Jenny Stevning said...

I have never read that Hafiz poem. I love it! Thank you!

Delwyn said...

Thank you Dan...

I need to remember to drink more love...

Happy days

Stream Source said...

L O V E L O V E L O V E L O V E Hafiz ...

My dog must, too. Each time I forget to pick that book up from my bedside, he CHEWS it up!

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Delightful reminder to give more and drink more!

Alden Smith said...

Interesting Poem Dan, looking forward to some more!

steven said...

hi dan!! for the past two and a half weeks i've been laid low by a volume of work and work commitments that has taken me away from the quality of care i wish to share with my family, my friends, and my students. this poem addresses that very experience so clearly - happily, the work distractors are down to a dull roar and so i can resume visiting blogs, friends, loving up my family, and taking better care of my students. thanks for this dan. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Jenny. Glad you liked it. I hadn't heard of it before, either. I have another collection of Hafiz poems, The Gift. But it doesn't include this one.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Delwyn, yes, the world seems mighty thirsty for love right now.

Dan Gurney said...

Your dog must have good taste, for poetry doesn't get much better than Hafiz!

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, yes, the world's parched, don't you think? Drink and share the love. The magic is, the more we drink it up, the quicker our cup refills itself.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Alden. I've been super busy in the past few days, but I'll have more time to read and write in the next couple of days. More on the way, my good friend--hey I loved the video you accidentally got of the yacht!

Dan Gurney said...

steven--same here! Really busy. But now I'm on break, so more time is coming soon.