Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Morning Offering

 Dawn as seen from my house, March 16, 2010

At the Society of Friends of the Buddha meeting last night, my pal Bruce shared that he had been struck by a poem that someone had given him some time ago. He had run across it as he was going through his piles of old papers and he was struck by its power. He said that reading this poem, for what he believed must have been the first time, he was filled with encouragement, that special feeling that it is possible to get unstuck, to live the life we would love to live.




When he got home, Bruce emailed it to me for sharing here on Mindful Heart. 

With Bruce's blessings to everyone in our Sangha, and

with my wish that all my bloggy friends

will enjoy it too, 

here you go.


A Morning Offering

I bless the night that nourished my heart
To set the ghosts of longing free

Into the flow and figure of dream
That went to harvest from the dark
Bread for the hunger no one sees.

All that is eternal in me
Welcome the wonder of this day.

The field of brightness it creates
Offering time for each thing
To arise and illuminate.

I place on the altar of dawn,
The quiet loyalty of breath.

The tent of thought where I shelter,
Wave of desire I am shore to
And all beauty drawn to the eye.

May my mind come alive today
To the invisible geography

That invites me to new new frontiers,
To break the dead shell of yesterdays,
To risk being disturbed and changed.

May I have the courage today
To live the life that I would love,

To postpone my dream no longer
But to do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more.

John O'Donohue

14 comments:

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Dan: This is so beautiful - and it is no surprise when you reach the end to discover it was written by John O'Donahue. I have all of his books. They have been an impetus for growth - a source of wonder and comfort. Beyond his wisdom and generous spirit, his words flow like liquid amber and illuminate the dark recesses of my soul.

Did you know he died a couple of years ago. He was young - in his fifties. We are so blessed that he put so many of his thoughts and blessings to paper.

I am going now to read from "Beauty: The Invisible Embrace" by J. O'D. Thank you Dan.

steven said...

dan - john is new to me and so, a welcome gift! thankyou. what insight! steven

Whitney Lee said...

This is beautiful. It's something I can very much use...Thank you.

Jenny Stevning said...

Chills. Swirls. YES!!
So lovely!!!
LOVE!

Jessica said...

Thanks for posting! John is new to me as well! So beautiful!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Bonnie. You're welcome. I got this from my pal, Bruce, and he from a friend. That's why a society of friends is so important.

I don't know much about John--but you do, and you've read his books. He died two years ago at 53. He seems like someone interested in accentuating the positive.

Dan Gurney said...

steven, I'm glad you liked it.

Dan Gurney said...

Whitney, Jenny and Jessica-- thanks for posting your appreciation. I'm sure you speak for many others.

I loved the line, "I place on the alter of dawn/the quiet loyalty of breath." Those lines reminded me of my meditation practice (I have an alter) and of my attention to breath as I meditate.

The Pollinatrix said...

That photo is gorgeous!

I just discovered John O'Donohue a few months ago. He's wonderful.

Vagabonde said...

I did not know this author but will find more of his works. The poem is beautiful and uplifting.

Reya Mellicker said...

A lovely prayer!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Polli. I think it's interesting how people pop up in our lives. I hadn't heard of J O'D before and now I find out that some of my readers have been holding him close.... that's so neat.

I'm glad you like the photo. I took it the morning before the meeting, not knowing I'd want a photo of a sunrise for my next post. Synchronicity at work in the world, I guess.

Dan Gurney said...

Vagabonde, thanks for leaving a comment. I'm glad you found the poem uplifting.

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

this is a lovely post. I enjoyed reading the invocation...I have a JOD book of poems and have read more of his work through blogs.

your dawn is alive...and made me think that dawn sings...in colour...

I wonder if I heard you little ones singing and marching today? I loved you comprehensive and reliable list of centering activities...
My reply to you was eaten! thanks for your contribution.

happy days