Saturday, March 27, 2010

Trees Speak, a Cinquian

I took a walk on a spring day so pleasant that the doors of perception swung open. 

I went under a spell of vernal intoxication.







Grandfather and grandmother oaks seemed to say, "Good day, Dan!" 










I listened to them for a long time and composed the following cinquain:




Trees Speak, a Cinquain

Trees speak
To those whose hearts
Are still enough to hear
Subsonic music, laconic
And clear.






I invite you to join the fun of composing Cinquain poetry.

Try it, you may like it.

A Cinquain is a 5-line poetic form inspired by Haiku and Tanka but adapted to English by the American poet Adelaide Crapsey. Cinquain poetry has achieved a following over the years. In its basic form, a Cinquain's five lines display a syllabic count of 2-4-6-8-2.

12 comments:

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Enjoyed the cinquain Dan. That last photograph is a show stopper! It deserves to be enlarged and hang proudly on a wall somewhere.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Bonnie. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo and the cinquain.

Sarah Lulu said...

Gorgeous Dan ...and I am watching all my trees turn gold and red ...and the leaves have started falling in the last few days!!!

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you Sarah Lulu. Our spring, your fall. The earth keeps everything in balance, even though we tend to be too small to see it.

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

all three pictures are just wonderful today.
There is something about an image of a pathway through trees that rouses my soul...I have been thinking of this all week and here you prove it again with the pathway through the grasses.

Your cinquain speaks to me to...I like to listen to the whispers of the trees, their rustling, and their complaints...

Thanks for this perfect post today dan

happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Delwyn,

When I think of you, I think of pathways... the pollen path, and all the posts you've done about the walks you've taken, and brought us along via your posts.

The trees really did seem to speak to me, not audibly in English, but more directly via the heart. They have much to teach; I have much to learn from them.

Alden Smith said...

"I took a walk after work yesterday afternoon—
a spring day so pleasant
that it swung open the doors of perception"

Made me think of that book by Aldous Huxley - 'The Doors of Perception, Heaven and Hell' - Now there's are interesting book to read!!

Dan Gurney said...

Actually, Huxley's book was in the back of my mind. In my case, the intoxication was non-pharmacological induced by the natural endorphins produced by walking and, I guess, from the incredible beauty of the sun and wind.

Paul C said...

Wonderful words to complement the images.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Paul. I nipped over to your blog and found it very interesting. I am happy you enjoyed this post.

Reya Mellicker said...

California is so so so beautiful in early spring, before it begins to dry out. That emerald green. Wow.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Reya-- thanks for leaving a comment. California is nice & green around here till the middle of May. Then the grasses go golden, which is pretty, too.