Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gaia's Jewelry

Frost on the windshield of my Subaru, March 10, 2010, 7:15 AM



My blog buddy, steven, recently posted photos of ice crystals on golden fish. He got me thinking about the last real frost we had here in California. steven, this poem's for you.







GAIA'S JEWELRY


As if she were a master jeweler,

Gaia, worked through the wee hours

before dawn on March 10th

Her workbench was simple:

the windscreen of my Subaru

(a car named after the Pleiades!).





She feathered water crystals

Across the glass

With loving attention to detail






Was she simply bestowing upon me

A Random Act of Kindness,

A Senseless Act of Beauty?






Or was she trying to show me

That she could make miracles

From nearly nothing,

As if they were nothing?





Did she create such beauty—

Without sleep,

Out in the dark,

Out in the cold.

Without fuss, without

Any expectation of recognition

To put a bold

Wonder in me?






As she spread her fine filigree,


Did she wonder—

Would I blindly spray

the hose or splash

a pail of water on her opus,

as if I saw her toil as

just another annoying delay

on my way

to work?



What Gaia wondered, I cannot say.






What I wondered, though,

I know:

If she can lovingly spin jewels for me

Who am I not to lovingly spin jewels for everyone,

Everything, everywhere, and everywhen?



"Generosity is giving more than you can. Pride is taking less than you need." —Kahlil Gibran

15 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

Is the picture of your windscreen with the frost?

It looks like an underwater shot of rolling waves and how it must feel to surf through a curl.

I am sure that you contribute your fair share and more. Your generosity of spirit has always appealed to me...

happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Delwyn. Yes. I added a caption to the photo to make that clear. Thank you for your kind words. My generosity is no match for the world around me.

steven said...

dan thankyou. the photograph could be rendered as an amazing painting. but then it already is. i love that you can say so much in your words. so much!
one of my colleagues asked me yesterday: "what gets you up in the morning?" my answer: "free gifts". of course they laughed. "no really" i continued, "you get up and there's your family . . and you go outside and there's this world and it's the most amazing get-together of free gifts. all you've got to do is learn to accept them graciously, oh and then you should add to the pile!" have a lovely californian kindie day! steven

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

What an inspiring conclusion to a beautiful string of word pearls Dan!

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh the words and the photo ... such beauty ..thank you so much. xx

Jenny Stevning said...

So beautiful, Dan!!
"To put a bold

Wonder in me?"
These words floor me!

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow. It is incredible that ice can look just like feathers or flowers, isn't it? The mind of the Snow Queen creates such beauty. Wow.

Lori ann said...

Oh your writing! I almost felt like i was singing that. So so lovely. Your words and meanings. thank you.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, steven. Yes, gifts. They are SO abundant. So abundant. Yet most people walk past these precious amazing jewels without seeing them at all!!!

It's great to know you. You know about the gifts. And you add to the pile. Yes, you do.

I'm working on a poem about trees and all their gifts. When it's fully blossomed, I share it here.

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, thank you. But my words pale in comparison to those water crystals.

Dan Gurney said...

Sarah Lulu--you're welcome. I do it for you.

Dan Gurney said...

Jenny, thanks! There is something bold about wondering if there's any way, any way in the world that we can give back to our dear Mother Earth, Gaia, God, (or whatever you wish to call her) even a small portion of the gifts she gives us.

Bold, indeed!

Dan Gurney said...

Reya. YES! And I've gotta believe she's been doing it for a long time. Somewhere between childhood and my forties I had trouble seeing anything but the most blatant of her beauties, you know, like Yosemite Valley or something.

But she's beautiful in a gajillion ways, many of them small. How did I get so lost in culture to have missed the miracles? I don't know...

Dan Gurney said...

Lori ann, thank you. I know you could have been singing them. You sing them on your blog, too.

jinksy said...

Oh, to be a spinner of jewels...
I can only be a spinner of dreams...