Monday, April 12, 2010

A "Perfect" Haiku

After just one week of vacation away

from kindergarten

I must put myself through

exacting psychological adjustment.



I must do what

is required of any kindergarten teacher.

We adults who must dive back into

the universe as it appears

through the eyes

of a five year-old child.


A kindergarten teacher must

clear away mental clutter

 so that he can share the news

of, say, a new loose tooth

as if a loose tooth

were the most important event of a lifetime.




For from a student’s point of view,

a new loose tooth IS earthshaking news.





I was trying to empty my mind late last night.

Sleeplessly because thunderheads

Were emptying themselves on my town.




Rain flooded the Laguna.



Here is what the Laguna looked like before the rain:

























 And here is how it looked this afternoon, after the rain.













Sleepless in last night’s deluge,

I decided to compose a perfect haiku.

Simple,

elegant.

Five syllables

Seven syllables.

Five syllables.

With alliteration,

With rhyme.

A theme inspired by nature.

A single image.

And one that would help me

Remember how important

a loose tooth really is.

(A loose tooth would be earthshaking in my mouth at my age!)




The Haiku I composed

In the wee hours last night

Seemed like inspired genius.



After a cup of tea at breakfast.

It seemed somewhat less brilliant

Anyway, here’s my

mind-emptying,

nature-themed,

5-7-5

Rhyming

Alliterative

Haiku









Rainy, rainy, rain
Rainy, rainy, rainy rain.
Rainy rainy, rain.




I’ll bet my kindergartners would like it.

18 comments:

C.M. Jackson said...

how lucky your students are to have you as their teacher!Makes me want to go back to school just to hear your lesson plan! blessing to you!

Delwyn said...

...and I just love it too which just goes to show I am still a kindy kid at heart.

The photo of the Laguna after the rains has wonderful skies, I liked the comparison you posted.

Aren't the wee small hours creative...creatively tediously worrying at times and creatively soothing at others...

I seem to need less sleep these days and often wake, in NZ with a two hour time difference I was also out of kilter and would be awake two hours before getting up time...

Do you use the word wee often as in being very small...it is a well used word in NZ, and I thought this was so because of Scottish origins of many of the early settlers.

Happy days

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

So Dan, what was the weather like in the Laguna yesterday?

If I walk on my knees to look the right size, can I be in your class? Pleeeeeeease ...

steven said...

dan i wish we worked in the same building but i'll happily take the contact we share through the pixels. enjoy the weebles!! steven

Jenny Stevning said...

Hahaha! I love the haiku. The photo of the Laguna is amazing!! And I am with Bonnie, I would love to re-do Kindergarten in your class.

Lori ann said...

:) what a lovely post to start my tuesday morning with! i oohed and aahed at your photos and giggled at the haiku. it's perfect.

if i had the chance to do my life over, i think that is the thing i would have done, been a teacher. and kindergarten, oh my. what lucky children.

Todd said...

Dan,
works for me...have you been hanging out with Woody Guthrie?...he ofted added that 'Y' at the end of words...

swimmy
scrubby
washy

and such :)

cheers,
todd

Reya Mellicker said...

LOVE your perfect haiku. Oh yeah.

As for loose teeth, that is important news. From what I hear from the neighborhood kids, the Tooth Fairy pays pretty well these days.

Awesome post, Dan. Whoa ... the Laguna! Wow. Those clouds look fierce. Stay dry.

Katherine said...

Now I know what a Laguna looks like.
And the rainy haiku seems to me just the kind of perfect intenseness to reflect a kindergartner's lost tooth.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, CM. You can come. My classroom's open to all, and a lot of grownups do come to be part of the fun we have.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Delwyn. I've been a little surprised at how many people liked my silly little Haiku. It's very encouraging. My middle name is of Scottish origin. I've always used wee a lot, and I guess I assume that everyone knows what it means. I'm probably a wee bit off there, but didn't Mike Myers use it in his comedy? Anyway, wee is a great word, and I'll go on using it. Thank you for commenting.

Dan Gurney said...

Bonnie, you can come. I'd love to have you. You don't have to go down on your knees; come in as you are. I'll serve you cookies and milk and/or tea and you can stay as long as you like.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you steven. Oh, how I wish, how I wish, how I wish, that I had a male colleague in my school. I'm the only guy on my staff. Except for a few principals who were males, it's been just me. I have a lot of responsibility that way.... some boys in my school have moms, aunts, and grandmas galore, but very few actual males in their lives. I'm not complaining, just sayin' that's how it is.

Dan Gurney said...

Jenny, I have lots of paper, markers, scissors, glue, and you can make a big mess and make wonderful things to give your many friends. And you can cook lots of cookies.... as long as you clean up when you're done. So come on, you're invited.

Dan Gurney said...

Lori ann, I'll bet you'd be a fantastic kindergarten teacher. Kindergarten's my favorite assignment because you have more leeway to be creative and kooky and fun and crazy and loving and weird and HAPPY and different. You can put y's on the ends of words whenever you want and you can just have lots of fun. You can live as if "the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about" because, well, it is.

Dan Gurney said...

Toddy, me laddy, I thoughty he really namely isly Wood Guth. Arlo's dad.

All righty, looky, herey, mi amigoy, seey ya latery alligotory.

Glad you liked the haikuy.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Reya. Isn't it funny how losing teeth is good news when you're six and terrible news when you're sixty?

The weather's been dry and much warmer today. What a difference one day can make in April's weather.

Loved you post about curiosity today.

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Katherine. Have a great day in Auckland. I liked the leaf in the middle of the business district.