Sunday, May 16, 2010

Deep Pleasures

I have enjoyed many happy moments in my fifty eight years on earth.

Simple outdoor pleasures...

Riding my bike along roads so remote that one must count the hours per car, not cars per hour, and wonder, "Why would anyone be driving way out here, in the middle of nowhere?"

Sailing or paddling in waters so quiet that most of the beings around me have wings or fins

Hiking on trails too pretty to describe...




Deeper pleasures at work...

Singing with students,

Challenging the most able students with problems so hard that they must think deeply and flexibly to solve them,

Giving enough support to those who struggle that they know I really care.



And the deepest pleasures I know: Family.

Late this Sunday evening, I am savoring exactly one of those:

The success of my daughter, Elizabeth Price Gurney, M.D., who graduated with honors from New York Univeristy Medical School last week. She earned the AMWA Glasgow-Ruben  Achievement Citation for outstanding academic achievement and professionalism.

For one whole week, I had the delight of sharing with Elizabeth this milestone in the company of people whom I have loved deeply for many decades.


 Jeanette Lendino Gurney, James Gurney, Elizabeth Gurney, M.D., me, Sarah Glade Gurney
outside Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center, New York City, May 13, 2010

15 comments:

Von said...

Many congratulations in a proud moment of family achievement, nothing beats that and it all adds up to a satisfying life.

steven said...

hey dan thanks for sharing this very personal and tremendously satisfying moment in your life and in the lives of your family. i wish elizabeth success and joy in equal measure as she brings her knowledge to bear on the lives of people needing her help and guidance. steven

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

An immensely deep pleasure to see your children accomplish their goals and want to bring their talents to the service of humankind and/or the planet.

What a lovely picture of you all! It just oozes happiness. Life is good.

Congratulations to Elizabeth on her achievement. Congratulations to her father for laying the groundwork!

Paul C said...

What a wonderful shot of the proud parents and distinguished graduate. Thanks for sharing this rich occasion.

Jenny Stevning said...

Wow! Wonderful photo. Wonderful love.

Lori ann said...

Dan,
your pride in your daughter is the most beautiful thing. What a wonderful family photo, I can almost see your heart swelling in your chest. I'm sure this is one of the highlights of your life. (my son's graduation from University was one of mine!)
Congratulations to Elizabeth, what an achievement! Congratulations too Parents!
bless.
lori

Reya Mellicker said...

Congratulations and Mazel Tov! How proud you must be. Wow. She looks really happy, too. That is a major accomplishment. Bravo!!

Dan Gurney said...

Von, steven, Bonnie, Paul, Jenny, and Lori ann, thank you for your kind and welcome congratulations. I'm still walking a few inches off the ground. How happy I feel has taken me a bit by surprise, delightful surprise. The happy memories continue to wash through me in a most pleasant way.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Reya. You got it. I'm a proud father. Is pride a sin? Well, I'm a happy dad, that's for sure. People are always so generous in acknowledging the contribution of parents, but believe me, this one was accomplished mostly by Elizabeth's own work, smarts, focus, self-discipline, resourcefulness, and willingness to take on a load of debt for the tuition and expenses involved in four years of medical school. (Not all of her classmates come from households as humble as this one happens to be.)

Jennifer said...

WONDERFUL; Congratulations is just not enough for this most joyous accomplishment. How absolutely wonderful this is...so WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Congrats Elizabeth. I'm very proud to say my sister is a doctor.

Love
Ted

The Pollinatrix said...

How lovely! Thank you for sharing this peek into your beautiful family.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Jennifer. It is wonderful.

Dan Gurney said...

Polli, my pleasure. Thanks for stopping by MH

gucci said...

Thank you for you share ! and you can do more better !