Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bottled Water and The Great Mystery of Water

"When you drink the water, remember the spring."  —Chinese Proverb

"[Water is] the only drink for a wise man."  —Thoreau

If you've been drinking water from those plastic bottles, I hope you will find time to watch this little video called the story of bottled water. It will help you and you'll stop buying and drinking it, and that will help the planet.

The Story of Bottled Water

If you've got a lot more time, like an hour and twenty minutes, watch the video below. Watching it increased my appreciation (already pretty high) for perhaps the most amazing substance on earth, water.

Discussing the Great Mystery of Water

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Von said...

Much can be done in this area starting with every household collecting it's own rain water.
Of course I agree with Thoreau, as I do with most of what he says.However I do like small drop of Liqueur Muscat once in a while!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Von--

I just sent my son in the Peace Corps in Africa some money to install rainwater catchment cisterns throughout the village he's living in. We're planning to install a system for our house. You're right, it's a good place to start.

And yes, water (mostly), tea, and from time to time some ale or zinfandel keeps us human.

Bonnie said...

Thank you Dan. I will come back to view the videos - can't think of a more important topic these days.

Reya Mellicker said...

I use water filters. That bottled water tastes like plastic to me, and then, too, there is the issue of the bottles themselves. When I walk next to the Potomac River, sometimes I take with me a trash bag to fill with the trash I encounter. 90% of the garbage I find are plastic water bottles. Sickening.

Dan Gurney said...

Reya, I do pick up those plastic bottles. And put them in the recycling. Most of them end up in landfills anyway, or sent to India where there are MOUNTAINS made of thrown away plastic bottles.

Delwyn said...

Hi Dan

yesterday I kept thinking about the mountains of plastic bottles...I related the video to Jim and while we may be guilty of other environmental infractions water bottles is not one of them. Our homes always have filtered water and the new apt by law has grey water catchment for all washing zones and toilets.

Happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Delwyn. Good for you! We gave up plastic water bottles a long time ago (I never liked the taste of plastic water) and we avoid plastic packaging as much as we can, which is quite a lot of plastic, but we still have a long way to go to avoid plastic entirely. Prescriptions, for example, come in plastic bottles. I think drought-prone Australia is way ahead of most of America in its water conservation policies.