Sunday, June 6, 2010

iWalk Sebastopol

We all want to "save our planet."

Don't wait to start! 

Do something.

It's way better than worrying.

Here's something we did: 

We stayed out of our car and enjoyed a walk!

If enough of us stay out of our cars, no one would drill for oil, right?





We, my wife and I, happen to live in Sebastopol,

a haven for artists of all sorts—

painters, musicians, sculptors, actors, and dancers

to name just a few.

This weekend artists around here open up their studios to the public, a sort of Artist's Open House called "Art at the Source."

We like to walk with friends and meet new people,

We love to meet artists.

So we decided to lead two walks: one this weekend,

and one next weekend 

to visit some of the many artists who live nearby.

A group met in the town plaza at 9:00.








After a few speeches, we were off on our way out of town. 
Here we are on our way past the Post Office Building.







Half an our later we had walked out of town to our first stop,
Maggie Ballad's home and studio. That's me in yellow with the
funny hat and my two pals, Richard and Guy. Richard is our
inspiration for walking, and Guy's the Vice Mayor of Sebastopol.





Richard, Sue, and I are standing in the corner of her beautiful home as
Maggie, in foreground on the left, talks about her paintings.









A short while later the sun came out and we found ourselves at Gen's studio. Jen had so many paintings that her back yard and garden were pressed into service.


After several more stops, we found ourselves back in the heart of town where there is a custom Stoneworks and brass foundry. That's my wife, Sarah, Mayor of Sebastopol, holding the iWalk sebastopol sign.


We had fun, chatted with good friends, met some new friends, and saw a lot of beautiful art.
Next week we'll do it again, but visit a new suite of galleries an studios.

6 comments:

steven said...

now dan how good is that!! how really good is that - out walking and visiting artists and hangin' with good people. nice. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, steven, thanks for commenting. Yes, we had a great time. And we're looking forward to next Saturday morning when we'll go again to another set of artists' studios.

Lori ann said...

Dan, that is so great! i love everything about this, what a wonderful post.
If i lived in Sebastopol i would love to join your group.
Your wife is Mayor? That is so cool.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Lori Ann—

Yes, my wife is the Mayor of our town. We all had a really good time. If you look at the group photo, you'll see women outnumber men by more than 2 to 1. It's typical 'round here.

The Pollinatrix said...

I so wish I could come walk with you! I was hoping to make it out there this summer (you'll remember I have connections in Guerneville), but alas, I don't think I'm going to be able to swing it financially. Oh well. That's a lot of oil saved!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Polli--

Oh, you're talking right up my alley. I am (quite uncharacteristically) indulging in a deeply guilty pleasure this summer of traveling to Ireland to be with my brother and his family this summer. The expenditure of oil this entails shames me, but, on the other hand, it will be my first trip across the Atlantic, and taking it will make me a little less insufferable on this topic, since I won't be able adopt my "holier than thou" stance in regard to travel.