Thursday, July 29, 2010

Standing Up for Blogging

My neighbor told me that sitting is bad for you. His comment piqued my interest, so I went online and came across several items about the harmful effects of sitting too much. Here's one of them:

Sitting is Bad for You

I cannot claim to have any expertise on this matter, but my subjective experience agreed with what my neighbor had to say: My body feels its worst after prolonged sitting—something that occurs most frequently when I'm on the computer.

To remedy this problem, I've moved my blogspot. Now I must stand to use my computer.

My "Blogspot" looks like this:

My blogspot. 
On the floor are speakers playing the Pandora station du jour, usually jazz. 
The open door lets in California wine country breezes and light.


I suspect that standing for long periods of time isn't good for one's health either.

That's okay: standing at the computer is self-limiting—I can't "stand it" for more than about 10 minutes at a time.

Soon I walk away from virtual reality into actual reality.

8 comments:

ALeks said...

Oh Dan,this is absolutely gorgeous,Im still gniffeling and bursting in repetingly pleasant laughter, thank you for this!! I shuoud do the same! Ahahahaha....brilliant!! :D
Happy standing!! Ahahahaha....
Laughing Aleksandra

Von said...

Nice!!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, ALeks, thanks for sharing your laughter! I guess you could call it my stand up routine!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Von, thanks for stopping by.

C.M. Jackson said...

that is such a great idea!

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, CM. If you try this you may find, as I have, you spend a LOT less time at the puter.

The Pollinatrix said...

Since most of my work is done on the computer, I won't be moving it to a standing room only position any time soon, but I applaud your doing this.

I love Pandora! One of my favorite self-made Pandora stations, which I've named "Eclectic Ambient," plays a mixture of jazz, classical, Native American, and ambient electronica.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Polli--another Pandora fan! dontcha love it?

Thanks for the applause. I hope it was a standing ovation!