Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fifth Tuesday Meeting

The Society of Friends met a Richard's lovely house on the Laguna for a delightful sharing of poetry. It was great. Richard's poetry (he writes his own) was really great. Richard, of course, is pretty modest about his poetic talents. But Marc, who used to teach poetry at the college level and has written a textbook on reading it that is still in print, loved Richard's work. So did I.

Marc shared this poem from Hafiz. I asked him to read it three times and curbed my urge to ask for more.

In the end I decided to ask him to email it to me so I could share it here.

WITH THAT MOON LANGUAGE
(by Hafiz, translated by Daniel Ladinsky)
 
 
Admit something:
 
Everyone you see, you say to them, “Love me.”
 
Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
someone would call the cops.
 
Still though, think about this, this great pull in us to connect.
 
Why not become the one who lives with a
full moon in each eye that is
always saying,
 
with that sweet moon language,
what every other eye in
this world is
dying to
hear?




There. 

Hafiz has given all the advice anyone ever really needs. In one poem.


Marc's book is here.
Richard's poetry is here.

4 comments:

Paul C said...

I am not quite sure about 'love me'...a little too insistent? With the same moon eyes could one say or think 'I want to know you better?' I am reminded of the quote, "Speak to the king (queen) and the king will come forth." We are all special and worthy of vital communication.

Dan Gurney said...

Paul, I think that's the point of the third and fourth lines. You don't say things like this out loud, or perhaps even allow yourself to think them out loud because "someone would call the cops."

I think one of the points of this poem is to encourage us to be more approving of and loving to those around us because at bottom what we want is to feel as connected with each other as we actually are.

Lori ann said...

Oh MY.

This is incredibly beautiful and true. I so enjoyed your introduction and closing lines as well Dan.

I agree that to be loved/seen/heard is at the core of every human. I understand the meaning to be, I see you, you are like me. Love is the universal language, because it doesn't even need any words sometimes.

Is it okay if I copy this into my own personal journal?

Thank you for sharing Dan.

Dan Gurney said...

Lori Ann, thank you for commenting. Yes, you may copy it into your journal. I believe in sharing!!