Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dealing with Wicked Witches


A young child visited his grandparents and saw for the first time the Wizard of Oz.

His memories of the wicked witch scared him so that he could not sleep at bedtime. Grandpa and Grandma tried to assure the little boy that the witch was not real, but the boy could not be convinced. 



They opened the closet in the bedroom to show him that no witch was hiding there, but the boy could not fall asleep. They opened all the closets throughout the house and looked under all the beds and behind all the curtains.

“There is no witch in this house!” they told him.

“I’m know the witch will come and get me,” the grandson said.

Grandma looked closely in her grandson’s eyes and saw his terror. She could see: the witch was real to her grandson. She went to the kitchen, got a plastic cup and filled it with water.

“When the witch comes,” she told him, “throw this water at her.”

She put the cup on his nightstand.

The boy smiled, exhaled, and fell asleep.



A nod to Ellen Handler Spitz for this story.

7 comments:

Jenny Stevning said...

Sweet story! I love that a small boy had a fear assuaged, but I love even more that his grandparents were patient and loving in order to give that to him.

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Jenny. We all need figures like that Grandma in our lives.

steven said...

dan i really appreciate this story. i have seven stuffed bears - each has a job. one to watch the door for bad people, one to watch the closet, one to watch under the bed, one to watch the window, one to make sure that i sleep on my side and don't snore, one to welcome ghosties as they pass through and one who is in charge of the other six. each bear gets to ride to school with me on my bike and on that day all the kids in my grade class bring their stuffies in and there's a big meeting at which the stuffies let out all of their stories. of course we listen in and write down whatever we can hear!!! love and care takes so many forms. this story is really about the deepest love isn't it. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Hi steven, I've got a bunch of little Buddha statues scattered about my home and yard. They're around to look after me, make sure I'm aware of them, I guess. They make it unnecessary to snap on the radio or music or TV, but then again I have no TV and only one radio in the whole house.

Stream Source said...

We are born fearless, then we learn to fear; later, if we are so blessed to have discovered eternal life, we realize fear was learned - a result of a 'dream' of death - whereby with our thinking it became so. Now, with this new realization we are free to dream again and so go about the task of relieving ourselves of the Self destructive fear of death and return to the peace that came with our original packaging.

The ocean tide does ebb and flow.

When a young man I know, named Andrew, was a child, he called all of his stuffed animals "Andrew". When asked why? He said, "That's so if a monster comes to get me at night, he won't know which one is me." But of course!

Noelle Renee said...

This is a lovely story Dan. My nephew, who is now 18 was quite afraid of that same witch. I told him that it was the neighor lady dressed up that way, so every time he saw her on the screen he would grab my hand and say, "cause that's the neighbor lady, right?!". I would answer, "Yes, you are exactly right. That's who she is and doesn't she look funny dressed up like that." Somehow, at age 4, it helped him not to have nightmares. Thanks for the lovely story.
Noelle

Ruth said...

It's amazing how trained we are to deny, deny, deny. When we accept what is, we can respond accordingly. I LOVE this story. I work with college students, and for the past 9 years I've been figuring out, slowly, that I don't necessarily have to answer the questions they didn't ask.