Friday, November 26, 2010

Our Wholesome World




Practically speaking, a life that is vowed to simplicity, appropriate boldness, good humor, gratitude, unstinting work and play, and lots of walking brings us close to the actual existing world and its wholesomeness.   —Gary Snyder


To Snyder’s recipe I would recommend a few more ways to engage in our actual existing world: grow some of your own food, travel along your preferred path to discover what’s extraordinary about our “ordinary” world whether through a meditation, yoga, or prayer practice; be a member of a family; have friends; cultivate at least one outlet to express joy (whether through singing, dancing, painting, sculpting, photography, cooking, sewing, knitting, woodcraft, storytelling, poetry, etc.); and get acquainted with your dreams.

What do you find that brings you into wholesome connection with the actual existing world?

Thanksgiving dinner with Ted—home after two years in Togo, West Africa

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

One thing you know well Dan - connection with and love for children. What is more real, true, beautiful, lovable and wholesome than a little child, before they have been influenced by the less desirable aspects of the world.

Thank you for sharing your wholesome recipe for living.

Dan Gurney said...

Yes, Bonnie, I am particularly drawn to both children and very old people. Both are freer of worldly concerns that those of us who are "stuck in the middle of life" Often I find that young and old folks have an affinity to and interest in the spiritual/non-material realms.

steven said...

well dan that's a beautiful picture thati am sure was filled with the smoky incense of feeling. a son back from a long absence. i cannot imagine. my children are both in their teens and the thought of "letting them go" thrills me with the possibilities for each and then also the sadness of not having them in my daily life. however, you asked a burning question: i've answered it in part. my little family. my mother. my aunt. my wife. my children. my students. bicycling draws me close to the possibilities. my art. my purpose. happy times dan. steven

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Dan~
That is an excellent list. Joy~walking~growing some of one's food are filled with happiness! I try to live in the present moment and bring some of nature into my life.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, steven, your poetry makes it very clear how connected you are to our wholesome world. Also your cycling (it's so green to eschew automobile travel) and your teaching practice. But I enjoy your poetry and photos and the little glimpses I've seen of your art.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Margaret. Thanks! It can be helpful to list the activities that awaken joy so we can remember to return to them when we feel the pull to awaken joy and happiness in our daily lives. Nature is key, like you say. And living in the present. (There's really no other time/place to be but in the NOW. Even pasts and futures exist only in the NOW though it may seem otherwise.)