Saturday, November 27, 2010

Reconciliation and Harmony

Less than a month ago my wife was reelected by a landslide to the Sebastopol City Council.

What is most remarkable about her service to our town is her ability to talk usefully with people from across the spectrum of views in our community. She's a mediator by profession and in her avocational work in local politics she finds ways to bring people together, people who had previously found themselves in conflict.

Her list of endorsers included people who are not on speaking terms with each other.

Anyway, George over on Transit Notes (thanks George!!) featured a movie called Harmony today. It's about HRH The Prince of Wales and his dedication to restoring the natural world and supporting sustainable agriculture. I was particularly drawn to the parts of the movie near the end when it talked about the Great Bear Rainforest in British Columbia Canada. Efforts to bring people together who had once opposed one another have borne some fruit. I have come to learn that the portrayal of their reconciliation may be a bit rosier in the movie than it is on the ground, but still, efforts to bring people together to work on environmental restoration need to be highlighted and celebrated.

I found this short movie to be uplifting and inspiring—worth the 45 minutes or so it takes to watch it.

Here's the trailer:


Harmony Movie Trailer from Balcony Films on Vimeo.

10 comments:

steven said...

dan thanks for sharing this. i've been aware of hrh charles' work as i have birth and heart connections to my home in england. what's very cool is that it is possible to buy products from his farms and orchards around the world. oh, and dan, they're very good!!! steven

Dan Gurney said...

hi steven, you're welcome! For me, it's important to hear messages that include some hope and this one does. It's easy to get discouraged by the importance, magnitude, and urgency of the environmental and climate problems we must solve.

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Dan~
in response to your remark to Steven above, I thought of the ending to this trailer: If we can take ourselves to the brink of self-destruction, we can also turn around and save our world. Sir Charles has been into organic farming for many years on the Windsor property. Unfortunately, he has the same image problem as Al Gore: reporting his carbon footprint while taking private jets, etc. The positive and encouraging publicity for his--and our--cause is a good thing.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Margaret— I dislike mean-spirited attacks on people who are trying to help the world, like the complaints lodged against Al Gore and Sir Charles. I agree with you that we citizen journalists must step up to the plate and promote the activities of those who seek to contribute positively to the work that must be done to restore our Mother Earth.

Paul C said...

How poignant that you share a post about reconciliation since your wife has experience in the area. How wonderful that she has a seat on city council, a most worthy representative.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Paul. Thanks. It's really easier to roll up the sleeves and to get involved--and more fun--that it seems from the outside. Messages of healing and reconciliation are something people are hungry to hear these days.

Ruth said...

What your wife does, bringing people together, is what most gave me hope in watching the film "Harmony" when I watched after George posted it. I thought it was remarkable how the First Nation people, environmentalists, and paper industrialists came together to preserve the Great Bear rainforest. Thanks for reposting the film.

I want to also thank you, deeply, for pointing me to Thich Nhat Hahn's poem, which to me is the only way to respond to such things as the piracy rapists and the miner rapists, and is what I tried to do with my poem, which ends with the poker in my own hand.

George said...

I'm glad to see that you reposted the Harmony film, Dan. Every ripple counts and, with luck, we will get the message to more and more people who, collectively, can have a significant impact on our future.

Dan Gurney said...

Ruth, my pleasure to repost the film. I'm glad you found the TNH poem meaningful. I do too.

Dan Gurney said...

George, again thank you for making me aware of it. I agree, every ripple counts.