Monday, December 20, 2010

Singing and Dancing

The Society of Friends will meet Tuesday night to close out our discussion of Jack Kornfield's compilation of basic Buddhist teachings called The Teachings of the Buddha. Among the passages we'll discuss is this sublime expression by Hakuin in the Song of Zazen:



Effect and cause are the same;
the Way is neither two or three.
With form that is no form,
going and coming, we are never astray;
with thought that is no-thought,
even singing and dancing are the voice of the Law.

How boundless and free is the sky of Awareness!
How bright the full moon of wisdom!
Nirvana is right here, before our eyes;
this very place is the Lotus Land;
this very body, the Buddha.

Excerpt from The Song of Zazen by Hakuin Zenji
adapted from the translation by Robert Aitken


I feel very fortunate to have a live-and-in person group to explore Buddhist teachings, and also very fortunate to have this wider audience through blogging.

10 comments:

George said...

You are, indeed, fortunate, Dan, to have a group with which to explore Buddhist teachings. I really like the words of Hakuin from The Song of Zazen. Nirvana is, indeed, right here and before our eyes.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is a very beautiful passage. You ARE very lucky to have a group to study with. Thank you for posting the teachings here for those of us who have no such opportunity. I have been enjoying some of the poems you posted as well, ones I had not come across before. Coming to your site is like ringing a little bell, and then hearing a teaching! Some incense, and it is complete!

steven said...

yeah dan, any community that supports the work of another in whatever way it manifests - woodworker, potter, meditator, is a wonderful thing. steven

Bonnie said...

In many ways this blogging community is more than an audience for us - but often a group of supportive friends all bringing awareness to bear on what is ... I love that phrase - the boundless and free sky of Awareness!

Ruth said...

It takes constant practice to dissolve boundaries. I'm really glad for the reminders you post here, Dan.

I agree with Bonnie, that in this blog community I have true friends.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, George! It's a good reminder because it's so easy to forget. Actually, I spend a huge amount of time in that forgetting.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Sherry Blue Sky. Thank you for the kind comments. I am pleased to know you enjoy the blog. It encourages me to try for more.

Dan Gurney said...

Yes, steven, indeed. Community supports us in everything we do. I think of community as very inclusive, people, of course, but also animals, plants, water, rocks, air, stars, a whole universe....

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Bonnie, I like the idea of broadening our idea of who can be friends.

Dan Gurney said...

Ruth, yes, friends. All of you I think of as my friends. My blog buddies. I wouldn't be blogging without you!