Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Biking and Hiking at Lake Tahoe

Spooner Lake
I was going to write a post about how much I've changed with regard to my views about heaven. The summary point would have been that after decades of disbelief (if heaven existed, why don't even the best space-based telescopes see it?) I now am thoroughly agnostic and interested to learn more. This is the effect of reading Brian Greene's book about the eleven kinds of multiverses that might be out there.

But I'm not going to write that post because in a way I AM in heaven right now, on vacation in the mountains with my family.

When your daughter is a resident doctor who works 80 hours a week, vacation time is extraordinarily precious. We're doing our best to make Elizabeth's vacation as relaxing and refreshing as we know how.

Today Elizabeth and I rented bicycles at Tahoe City along the western shore of Lake Tahoe and rode on bicycle paths north, west, and south of the city.



We rode west along the Truckee River to Squaw Valley, site of the 1960 Winter Olympics, an event I remember watching on television with keen interest as a boy.

Turning back up river, we returned to Tahoe City and headed south, as far as Sugar Pine Point. We found a market in Tahoma called PDQ famous for its huge sandwiches. We split one and could barely get back on our bikes we were so full.

Right after lunch by the lake
What Lake Tahoe looks like from our lunch spot


We rode something more than 30 miles (50 Km) in all. This was more riding than I thought we'd manage since Elizabeth quite literally had not ridden a bicycle since she discovered horses 17 years ago. She added credibility to the saying, "Once you know how to ride a bike you'll never forget how." Muscle memory endures.

We've been hiking, too. The picture at the top is of Spooner Lake which we circumambulated yesterday.

14 comments:

steven said...

heaven's everywhere. here's some proof. sweet times dan!! glorious times. steven

Dan Gurney said...

Of all the people I know who seem to be aware of heaven's hereness, it's you, steven.

The Solitary Walker said...

Heaven indeed!

Ruth said...

Gorgeous! Like Steven, I think heaven is everywhere we make it. Bless you for making your [poor] daughter's vacation so lovely. I really feel for resident doctor and all those terrible hours. The photo of the two of you together is just great. I can really see the family resemblance!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ahhh fantastic! I love the west side of the lake, from Emerald Bay all the way around to Incline. I lived in heaven for a couple of years right around 1980 or so - on the south side though - not quite as heavenly ... though ... I used to ski Heavenly, so what am I saying?

The marvelous Rabbi Manewith told us that heaven exists whenever we remember our intimate connection and relationship with the divine. Anytime we forget, we're in hell. I always liked that idea so much.

Nice to remember.

Have fun!!

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow, there's still so much snow in the mountains! It's late in the year for that. Cool.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Robert! Yep, heaven. How would we know about it unless we could taste it here?

Dan Gurney said...

Ruth, thanks. My wife sees a very strong resemblance between my daughter and me; I see a strong resemblance there, too. Likewise, my son strongly resembles his maternal grandfather, both physically and temperamentally. Sometimes it's eery how much family traits get carried through the generations.

Dan Gurney said...

Ruth, I like Rabbi Manewith's observation very much.

I would venture to add that heaven exists just as he says, but heaven also appears anytime we are having psychic intercourse with the natural world in all its forms. Young children can step into the heaven of the here and now and bring along adults whose imaginations have been rekindled through absorption in the miraculous.

Dan Gurney said...

I mean.... Reya!

Sabio Lantz said...

Fantastic play time !

Dan Gurney said...

Sabio, you know, as a kindergarten teacher I have to protect the right to play for my five year olds. Somehow we've gotten the WRONG idea that playing is a waste of time. How WRONG that is! Ask any cutting edge physicist and they'll let you know how vital play is to our imagination, insight, and creativity. (I hope there was no pejorative nuance in your use of the word "play."

Dan Gurney said...

Reya, about the snow in Tahoe: yes it was amazing. There was snow on the ground around Homewood when we rode through in the middle of June. Lots of it. In the two weeks we were there it went from winter to summer. When we got there there was rain and snow and when we left people were sunbathing and splashing on the beaches. Bikinis. Board shorts.

Jane said...

Hi Dan,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Tahoma to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you!
Jane