Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pedestrian Mindfulness

Mindfulness is a state of mind of being aware of what is, just as it is and returning to that moment instead of being carried away by our thoughts.

Thoughts WILL come by, like traffic on a busy street. They seem to demand our attention, but we don't need to do anything more than to note them and let them go by.

If our intention is to stay mindful of the present moment, we need only be aware of the passing thoughts and proceed across the street without being taken away.

This guy crossing a boulevard in Vietnam gives a graphic lesson in this metaphor for mindfulness:

5 comments:

George said...

Incredible, funny, and instructive! Yet, I don't envision that mindfulness would ever take me to this extreme.

steven said...

in the depiction of the state of mindfulness that accompanies the thought that each moment should be lived as if it were our last, this video would surely serve as the most stark reminder of the quality of that truth. steven

richard nichols said...

I've just been re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English. It spells it out so clearly without any BS. One thing amoung many concepts presented is that ones mental landscape is cluttered, and described as an inpentrable bickwall that seems impossible to overcome. Patient and mindful meditation is recommended one way to scale the wall. Since reading that I've noticed that very thing. Anger, resentment, jeulosy, greed and all the baggage that goes with it are so much a part of my mental landscape, that it does indeed seem impossible.
Oh well, I think I'll go meditate.

richard nichols said...

I also should mention that the pedestrian was crazy to attempt that impossible crossing,kind of the way I feel about the mental brick wall.

We found the Bangkok traffic about the same, scary!

Sabio Lantz said...

I thought that was called "concentration and strategizing"?

I think our multi-tasking brain (not single focused, not "mindful") is adaptively crucial. "Mindfulness" can be counter-productive:

For example: when i practice mindfulness while driving (paying attention to the road, cars and not daydreaming), I often miss my turns. It seems that by focusing on the present too much, the planning part of the brain shuts down.

Hmmmm, I have always thought about posting that -- and it is short enough -- maybe I will.