Wednesday, July 6, 2011

West County Ukulele Club

Last Friday my ukulele club sang a set of songs at our town's monthly sing along night at the Sebastopol Community Center. The night's theme was Country Music.

This was the occasion of my first lead vocal, not counting singing in kindergarten class for five year olds.

My wife was there to videotape it so I might share it here. With apologies for my harmonica "work" in the instrumental break. I just started playing harmonica a little bit ago. No worries. With time, I'll improve.

7 comments:

steven said...

hey dan - brave you!! the video is marked as "private" and doesn't play. so now you've got to make another brave decision - to turn it public and watch it go viral!!! steven

steven said...

rock on dan!!! i'll take your harmonica playing anytime. good job man!!! steven

Lizzy said...

Cute!

Lizzy said...

Cute!

Teresa Evangeline said...

A ukulele club? How cool is that? I love it! And you sound great. The video played perfectly for me, and your harmonica playing is great for being new to it.

It's fun to see the people we think we know in new roles and different settings. Great post.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, steven, thanks!! I don't think there's any worries about it going viral. But I did want to put this up there for my bloggy friends, if for no other reason than to disabuse them of any ideas that my talents are anything but ordinary and of the sort anyone can achieve. Part of my purpose in playing the ukulele is to show others that you don't need to be "good" to do it and have fun. If someone sees it and says to themselves, "Gee, I could do that!" then I will have accomplished my purpose.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Teresa Evangeline, thanks! Yes, there are three ukulele clubs in my neck of the woods here in Sebastopol, and I imagine there's one near you. They are fun, fun, fun. If you have the slightest inclination to sing or play, I would encourage you to find out where your local ukulele club is and join it.