Thursday, October 8, 2015

Coastal Cleanup

Took the afternoon to go out to Tomales Bay for a bit of paddling, sailing, and clean-up work.

I had intended to launch from Nick's Cove but it seemed pretty windy there, so I drove further down the bay to Marconi Cove where the wind was slightly less. I paddled to Marshall Boat works and then popped my Windpaddle Sail to head back into the bay along the eastern shore.

The wind was just right, enough to really make the boat go, but not at all technically demanding. Just a fun run down the bay.


I continued a little bit south of Marconi and pulled out at a gravelly beach I had never before visited. There was a little patch of iceplant for me to sit on and it was out of the wind, so that is where I made my lunchspot.


It was very pleasant there. I am glad to have found another little spot along the bay that I can visit and call my own. There was some evidence that others had visited this beach before I did: some empty aluminum Budweiser cans. I saw three of them.

But that got me to wonder....canned beer comes in SIXpacks....were there more than three cans on the beach? I began searching and soon found a fourth and then a fifth can. I looked hard for a sixth can but could not find one.

But that bugged me because I could not imagine anyone drinking five beers and then packing the sixth home with them. A thorough search turned up the last can.

I walked up and down the beach in search of other litter to pick up and, except for some jetsam from the oystering operations, I found very little. The plastic netting you see in the photo below was half buried in the beach gravel. It took a lot of pulling to free it from the beach so that I could remove it.


I rolled it up and tucked it under the deck bungees and headed home.


All that garbage is now in my trash and recycling bins to be collected next Monday.

Adding a little coastal cleanup to my paddling outings makes them even more of a pleasure for me.

2 comments:

Alden Smith said...

Good on you Dan for cleaning it up - obviously not everyone would do that. This is a world wide problem even here in supposed clean green New Zealand. A recent cleanup in the NZs Fiordland National Park resulted in about 10 tons! of rubbish. The stuff is everywhere.

I like your kayak. It looks a little bit like a NZ design called the 'Sea Bear'. Does it have rudder steering? I would think that the flat area on the underside of the hull created by the chine would mean she's reasonably stable?

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Alden–

Thanks. It's a good kayak, an Eddyline Fathom.

http://eddyline.com/kayak-model/fathom

No rudder. It does have a skeg that, like a centerboard on a sailboat, can be lowered into the water when needed. When the skeg is drawn up inside the skeg trunk the kayak has a mild weather helm, called weather cocking. When fully deployed, the skeg produces a mild lee helm, called lee cocking. Adjusting the skeg up and down allows the paddler to easily maintain a heading while paddling in strong crosswinds.

My kayak has a chine as you noted, but the bottom is vee'd so there's not much initial stability. It easily heels slightly to either side until the chine is immersed when it develops good secondary stability. All these combine to give the Fathom a very lively and sporty feel, especially in bumpy water.